Stuck on highway

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what it was. Something either in there was totally clogged or inside the water separator was. The lift pump was good it seems like once I had it out on the bench. But like I was saying no matter what I did the facet pump just couldn't pull fuel from the tank. Once I cut the heater and water separator out of the equation and hooked the two hoses together with a 3/8 barb fitting the facet immediately sucked fuel. I didn't see anything drain into the sediment bowl on the facet either and I let it pump roughly two gallons maybe a gallon and a half into little jugs I had in the garage. It's I guess possible something got stuck in the line and me blowing the low pressure compressed air back into the tank freed things up but I don't think so. The top gasket on the water separator was cracked and the hoses near the fittings were hard as a rock and a couple spots had zip ties holding stuff that I think kinked them some too. I filled the tank the entire way with fresh diesel again and drove it 20 miles and it didn't surge or do a single solitary strange thing like it had been doing since the day after I bought it. Mine also has a return fitting from the first passenger side cylinder going up to the metal hard line coming out of the fuel filter and I've never seen that before but it was so cracked and brittle it was definitely letting air in so I replaced it with some leftover return line from my kit for the other idi.

So I guess in summary I had a good lift pump, a bad hard line from the lift pump to fuel filter, a bad return line from cylinder #1 (which has no ferret adapter btw is that normal) to the fuel filter, a bad water separator / connections to water separator, but good lines to the tanks.

But, the truck runs. I'm uploading a video as we speak of the first startup since last nights mess and I'll take another picture of the engine area cause I'm still confused about whats going on with cylinder #1, and if I should have a ferret adapter.

Also my break light comes on at random now, but the ebrake cable is released from what I can see and the master cylinder is 100% full and the breaks work fantastic so I'm not sure what that is about yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our fuel suction side of the system MUST be tight. ANY leak will drain the filter whenever the engine is off. Think of our fuel system like a straw in a soda bottle. Stick it in and put your thumb over the end. Lift it out. See nothing drips out.But let your thumb off the end and it rushes out. same way our fuel system works. Any air leak and the whole system runs back to the tank. You can run a rubber hose from the mechanical lift pump to the filter inlet with no problems. If that hard line leaks it too will suck down the filter. Might want to replace the rubber hose from the mechanical lift pump to the frame rail. It sure gets beat up from engine flexing.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our fuel suction side of the system MUST be tight. ANY leak will drain the filter whenever the engine is off. Think of our fuel system like a straw in a soda bottle. Stick it in and put your thumb over the end. Lift it out. See nothing drips out.But let your thumb off the end and it rushes out. same way our fuel system works. Any air leak and the whole system runs back to the tank. You can run a rubber hose from the mechanical lift pump to the filter inlet with no problems. If that hard line leaks it too will suck down the filter. Might want to replace the rubber hose from the mechanical lift pump to the frame rail. It sure gets beat up from engine flexing.

Good call, and consider if you replace that section of line(from frame to lift pump induction side) keeping the fuel hose looped just as Ford just has it done. That loop helps absorb the stretching that happens while everything flexes. Good luck, don’t get to frustrated, a mountain is climbed just one step at a time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online