Strange starting issue.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not really sure how to explain this, but I will try. Truck stalls and will not restart with key, it will spin over perfectly but not start, however if you push it and let out on the clutch, it will fire right up. Could this be a clutch safety switch malfunction or something else? This is on the 94 by the way.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's spinning fine, it has nothing to do with the clutch switch.
Try cool water on the ip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one time it did it the truck hadn't even reached operating temp, had only been running a few minutes. Injection pump has less than 10k miles on it. What is strange is the truck starts very easily, just a couple of revolutions and it fires right up. I can see it being fuel related though so I think you are on the right train of thought. Fuel filter is new, but I am going to replace it anyway. The bizarre thing is it fired right up being pushed, not 5 minutes after it died.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
How fast is it cranking?
Could even be a combination of things. Another thing that comes to mind is could be a power supply issue.
When it dies, does it sputter? Or like you turned off the key?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its a once in a while deal.... My guess is a shorting wire.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How fast is it cranking?
Could even be a combination of things. Another thing that comes to mind is could be a power supply issue.
When it dies, does it sputter? Or like you turned off the key?

Cranks very fast, brand new batteries and they are fully charged. It just dies, like the key was cut off.

If its a once in a while deal.... My guess is a shorting wire.

There is only one wire that has anything to do with starting, right? It is on the injection pump, is that correct? I do notice the ignition switch is kind of sloppy and the key goes in at an angle. The strange thing is if you push it, it starts right up, so if there is an electrical short wouldn't that always prevent it from starting? What is baffling me is why it will start if pushed, but not with the key?

By the way, I really appreciate the input. This is the first diesel I have ever touched, but I have been turning wrenches since the mid 70's, so I am not totally clueless, just clueless on these engines. It is high time I learn since I have two of them now. It has only happened once, but obviously something is wrong, I need to figure out what and correct it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ip ( fuel sol.) is dead 'off -hot 'on, so it needs constant power to stay running, if the key is fubared inside,,,, think about it this way, just one power lead hot in the run position, several in start position( talking about the key switch) the quick test.... Pull the fuel sol. Wire and jump it hot, ( next time it dies) and see what ya get.
This could explain the push start deal.
These things are stupid simple like a mule, ( the engine) the cab not quite so much, who meeda a clutch disconect or door chime!?
Keep hammering on it " it is there somewhere"
Later cb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
There is a rod that runs down the collum to another switch component, my 88 the linkage failed " magic no start with key, but would bump start" at will.
Here's an anecdote from days gone bye...
When I trained on Ft.Dix the di's used to have us run a duce/5 ton up a long steeeep grade " no fuel pedal input" till the thing would die,,, lurch back and fire back up " running backwards " to teach how to use the fuel shutoff " only way to kill it."
Diesel''' horse stupid mule tough.
Carry on.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked at ordering a replacement key set, there is a dizzying array of them. I haven't found a good resource for ordering parts. I spent a few years rebuilding a BMW 740i and there is website called realoem, if you put in your VIN, it showed the correct part for virtually every part on the car, based on the VIN, you could not order the wrong part. Is there something like that with Fords or at least an online parts ordering place? I love RockAuto, but it is very easy to order the wrong part, they have 13 different ones available. My key is not an original so it does not have the letter on it. Is there an easier way? LOL

CB, makes perfect sense, I am going to replace the iggy switch in any case, and inspect the linkage and wiring. One of the reasons I searched for just this truck is the fact that it is dead nuts simple. I could have bought a modern diesel, loaded up with all kind of electronic crap, but I have too many friends with them that spend a lot of time in the shop because of various electronic issues. I greatly prefer old school even if it means repairing 20+ year old components.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark switch location on column down near firewall...felt pen ert.

Iirc 5/16 wrench loosen bolts or nuts on column switch amd move a HAIR upwards...tighten and test...move maybe thickness od dime...helps to make up for wear on rod and ign switch.

JM2CW

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBS columns have a rod too?
i thought that was just pre 92?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. Obs ones are plastic though.
Beings it's like you flipped the key off, I bet it's a wire.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My guess is the actual ignition switch has worn out. You did mention something being sloppy. An easy way to check if the switch is failing is to run a jumper wire from any battery hot and go directly to the injection pump fuel shut off solenoid terminal. On top of the injection pump is 1 spade connectors. The connector nearest the radiator is the place you need the jumper wire. Its also the wiper spade connector. The back connector is the electrical internal cold advance.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Icanfixall, I bought a new lock cylinder yesterday and will replace that. IIRC it is as simple as turn key to ON position and use paperclip to push up on the recessed pin under cylinder and pull the switch out?

I have some new fun, ran it out of fuel yesterday. It seems the switch for the front/rear tank has an issue. It pulls from the front tank when switch is in front tank position, but shows fuel level of the rear tank and vice versa. Is this something on the front/rear switch backwards? I know the previous owner had the dash apart while replacing the headlight on/off switch, could he have reversed a couple of wires? Now the rest of the fun for the day is purging the air out of everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online