Strange starting issue.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Icanfixall, I bought a new lock cylinder yesterday and will replace that. IIRC it is as simple as turn key to ON position and use paperclip to push up on the recessed pin under cylinder and pull the switch out?

I have some new fun, ran it out of fuel yesterday. It seems the switch for the front/rear tank has an issue. It pulls from the front tank when switch is in front tank position, but shows fuel level of the rear tank and vice versa. Is this something on the front/rear switch backwards? I know the previous owner had the dash apart while replacing the headlight on/off switch, could he have reversed a couple of wires? Now the rest of the fun for the day is purging the air out of everything.

with an electric pump, all it takes is a turn of the key ;Sweet

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air is purged and it back to itself. I haven't done the ignition switch yet. Here is what I found, when the switch is set to the front tank, it reads the level in the front tank, but is pulling fuel from the rear tank, when set to the rear tank, it reads the fuel level of the rear tank but pulls fuel from the front tank. The problem is not in the dash but appears to be at the tanks. I can see where it has been rewired in the past and the dash wiring is original. I think I am going to pull the bed off and correct it. It will work out as I have a hitch to install as well. I scored a stock one from another F350 for $75, with mounting hardware.

Yes the electric pump would have made it a lot easier.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replac d tach sensor today, sure is nice to see the tach steady and not bouncing all over the dial. Also got new Ford thermostat and will replace that in a bit. I am going to replace ball joints next, they are way past their service life and rattle. That is the next priority, then I am going to take the bed off and correct the fuel tank selector issue and mount the hitch.

I have eyed that 38 gallon rear tank from LMC, not a bad price for the raw tank, but the sending unit is ridiculously priced. Has anyone tried to extent the float arm so it reads the 38 gallon tank correctly?

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a great price! Excellent find. What do we do for a sending unit that reads accurately?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To help you straighten out the fuel tank FU wiring.

Also how to adjust the key switch.

Attachments

• Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! That will help greatly.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do we do for a sending unit that reads accurately?
The challenge is not the sending unit, it's the arm. The solution is to mount the sending unit lower on the pickup tube so it's in the middle of the height of the tank, and extend the arm (or make a longer arm) so the float reaches the bottom of the tank.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I had figured, extend the float arm, brass rod should do the trick.