strange noise part 2

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Way back when I mentioned that TDT all of a sudden got very loud (cummins loud) and then it stopped so I didn't worry about it. The other night it did it again but stopped. Then yesterday it did it and stayed like that. Now I can describe how it acted.

It sorta was like how a carbureted vehicle thats not quite right takes off. You hit the pedal and it acts sluggish then goes. There was definitely a loss of power. Then when I got home and shut it off it didn't just stop dead like normal there was a 1/2 second "die off". Hard to describe.

I wonder if somehow it isn't jumping time. Is that possible? I'm leaning toward the IP, but I don't want to just start swapping parts.

Oh, and on cold start up it runs real rank for a few seconds (about 15) and then instantly jumps into a smooth idle.

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by cummings loud do you mean the exhaust noise or the engine/mechanical noise. when was the last you had the valve covers off. you might want to take a look under them it's cheap and fairly easy to do..

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I'm talking about engine noise. Valve covers were off 2000 miles ago when it was rebuilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online