Straight Pipe Or.....

Straight Piped Or.....

• Total voters

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 of them both straight piped not bad till you want to make noise,imo stacks suck,especially when coming through a topper or something equally stupid like 6"and up pipe rolling coal like its cool,lets get the laws tightened up more because of dumb *****

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
3" off of 2.5 banks downpipe exiting at cabcorner with 4" stainless resonated tip. Pretty quite with turbo to chop up noise.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
highjack!
do you have some sort of hydraulic equalizer for your dual rams towcat?
on log truck,they simply joined the lines with a basic T but the rams don't work evenly at all.can't dump a load (well can't dump yet anyway until i get the whole system welded up better than they did to this one) i tried searching for such a device but no luck.there must be some type of device to make them work evenly right?
you see the block where all the hoses go to andfrom in between the lift cylinders? that's the pressure equalizing valve to keep things happy.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two 7.3 factory turbos both w/3" exit in front of r. rear wheel and a short resonator under the bed.
Biggest difference in exhaust noise is in timing. Retarded is loud, advanced hardly noticeable.

J.P.

Reaction score
I now have a 1987 xlt Lariat 6.9 n/a I removed the stock muffler but too many car alarms going off, put in a 26" glass pack with the quiet side sounds good but still think it could be something better. has anyone installed true duels? I was thinking duels run together like the stock set up straight thru,I think the stock pipe size is 2.5", but not sure about performance on n/a. Any thoughts? Looking for best option for power and mileage. once I figure exhaust out I will look at timing and/or turning up the pump...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my buddy has duals on his 6.9 n/a
with glasspacks.
its louder than my straight piped turbo 7.3
your best option is a turbo! ;Sweet

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
banks turbo with banks downpipe, then splits into dual 2.5'' that runs outside of the frame up to dual 4'' stacks. Il post some pictures some time.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might want to read up on current TX vehicle equipment laws.
no thanks to the kids straight pipping their daddy's truck and making a general nuisance around town, "there's now a law" requiring a muffler on diesel trucks. do a google for it. :D

I'll check that out. I like the way my current set up is it's bolted in sections so I can remove the muffler until inspection time. Is the factory piping bolted are is that something the Po did?

I can confirm this. In Johnson County they will fail your truck if there's no silencing device in the exhaust system. Inspector told me it had to be under there somewhere when he sticks his head under the truck; doesn't matter what type. I bought a $20 silencer that probably goes on a Geo and tack welded it to the end of my exhaust. Passes fine. I break it off when I get home and throw it on the shelf until next year.

But my truck is still running the stock 2.5" exhaust with the flattened down pipe. It's getting all new exhaust with a high flow muffler in a few months. I hate that farm truck cackle.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditched the factory muffler and put in a Thrush glasspack, 2.5" in/out. I don't find it overwhelmingly loud, but if I'm on it, other people have commented that its quite loud. I can hear exhaust pulses when driving next to barriers/walls/cliffs, particularly if the passenger window is open a bit, loud and clear. Its been on since fall 2012 and is starting to rot pretty bad on either end of the body. No holes yet, but might not be long!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I am running 3" to 4" SS flex from the Turbo then 4" straight pipe to 5" Horizontal Stacks. The Left Side gets a 2" Scoop out of the main pipe, carried over the Drivetrain by 2.5" SS Flex Pipe to a custom built reducer to the 5" Horizontal Stack. No Mufflers. The Smoke is Equally Distributed. Defiantly a one of a kind setup,..

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THE BEST STACK IN THE WORLD