Storing an engine

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 7.3 engine from the neighbor that's completely taken apart. They had it in their shed for 15 years or so. It's not in awesome shape anymore, but how do you store it for the long haul? Block and crank are probably my two biggest concerns. They currently are wrapped in plastic bags that need to be opened up as they have holes.

My thought was to hose it down in oil or grease and stuff it in the corner of the shop?

My daughter stole the camshaft to make a lamp. I may or may not let her have it yet we will see.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
At this point, it's all gonna need cleaned up anyways. So maybe hit everything with a pressure washer, blow dry, then hit it with fluid film.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know that
Lucas oil stabilizer will stay stuck to everything... maby mix some with a solvent(diesel?) To get it thin, then coat everything. Once the voletiles offgas, what's left will stay around for a /long/ time.

Alternately, just a spray metal protector might be good... the advantage of the lucas is that it will dissolve in engine oil and has no harmful stuff in it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typically use WD for short term. Good heavy sticky grease for long term. Cheap wheel bearing grease seems to do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online