Stock fuel pump

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I placed my Holley pump in the same location just in front of the changeover valve. I'm able to drain both the front and back tanks. But don't do it. The fuel is what lubricates the pump, injection pump and cools the injectors with the returns to the tanks. Running out of fuel ruins the injection pump very fast. Try running the motor without oil and you see what is happening.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
just got the pump in the mail....seesh it's HUGE! glad i have a lift on my scout, may drag the ground otherwise! LOL just my luck, the inlet and outlet are opposite of what i wanted! i wanted to mount it on the passenger side framerail, i'll have to figure something out... -cuss

i skimmed through the destructions, it suggests a pre-fuel filter. any suggestions? this diesel is going to be crystal clear, i'm going to have that filter, a big racor filter, and the stock filter! pricy maintence here! :rolleyes: and it also recommends a relay too, any suggestions on that? :confused:

thanks,
-Jon;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
anybody use a prefilter? i was thinking one of those clear replaceable element filters just to take out the big stuff, then the Racor filter/water seperator will take care of some more, then the stock will get anything missed. ;Sweet LOL

-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yes yes, i was having a dumb moment, i took a good look and the light came on, it's clamped, not welded to the bracket... ;Sweet

it's not that big, i was just expecting it to be smaller. LOL

anything with the prefilter? :confused:

-Jon

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO idea on the prefilter... a new sock on the pu tube in the tank/s would work well.

As for a Relay, well there is lots of thought about that. I would suggest utilizing a wire that turns hot when the IGN switch is on but not the ACC switch. I would also wire from that to a good Toggle switch then to the relay after that. This would make it so you can if for some reason shut off the pump with the IGN on. EG compression test, etc..

JM2CW

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
NO idea on the prefilter... a new sock on the pu tube in the tank/s would work well.

As for a Relay, well there is lots of thought about that. I would suggest utilizing a wire that turns hot when the IGN switch is on but not the ACC switch. I would also wire from that to a good Toggle switch then to the relay after that. This would make it so you can if for some reason shut off the pump with the IGN on. EG compression test, etc..

JM2CW

well in the diesel scout's they removed the tank sock, i think to increase fuel flow. i think i'd rather a clear "coarse" filter before it so instead of dropping the tank to clean it i can just take the filter apart. i guess i'll hook it up regular to the ign. on and not acc. i'll set it up so i can completely disconnect the pump.

thanks,
-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online