Still hard starting, WHY!!

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
that should be alright. from what i can gather the corrosion is what shorts them out in the first place. so with corroded peice gone it shouldnt hurt. not for sure though

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well i bypassed the clip. It still did'nt start good, cranked and cranked and cranked. It's 39 degree's out and my gp's stayed on for 9-10 secounds, no block heater.. Could my gp controller be bad maybe??

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep checking the small things first like you are doing,,, i can tell by the way your really going to it your going to pinpoint the problem!! ;Sweet Are your glowplugs good? Did you check them with a meter? I know for sure that a gear red. starter will really help you out, but keep checking the small things first unless you have alot of money to dish out. How's your batteries?

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just for the hell of it check all your wire conn,, battery cables going to starter and solinoid, battery terminals, make sure eveything is tight, also check to make sure your battery cables are good where the terminals bolt or crimp on,,, i've seen alot of corrosion in some of the battery cables and busted strands of copper, just some easy stuff to check also,, also make sure everything is clean were bolted on

sootman73

Reaction score
is there smoke at all coming out of the tailpipe? whats the condition on the fuel system?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep checking the small things first like you are doing,,, i can tell by the way your really going to it your going to pinpoint the problem!! ;Sweet Are your glowplugs good? Did you check them with a meter? I know for sure that a gear red. starter will really help you out, but keep checking the small things first unless you have alot of money to dish out. How's your batteries?

i also think you are on a good path toward finding the underlying issue. diesel engines only need 3 things to start: air, fuel, and heat. assuming you air filter is clean (because you havent said that it smokes bad under load and you havent complained about a lack of power) then you should be getting enough air.

next ingredient is fuel. i may be wrong, but its my understanding that unless the timing is pretty far off, these trucks will start with relative ease with poor timing. however, you said that your truck runs well so i wouldnt think that is the issue.

finally, there is the issue of heat, enough heat to get the air/fuel mixture to ignite on its own. to accomplish this self ignition, many diesel engines only need the starter, as the starter is able to spin the engine so fast that the rapid compression of the air/fuel mixture is enough to cause ignition even in cold weather. our stock starter is not capable of this in almost any weather, in large part because of the high compression, and ford knew it so they put in glowplugs to create a heat source to get the fuel to ignite at low rpm. this is where the gear reduction starter is so helpful. the gear reduction starter increases the speed that the engine is spinning during the start cycle. that increase in speed is enough that some people claim to no longer need to rely on the glowplugs most of the time to start it up.

i do agree with Trex that the starter will be a big help to you in making starting easier.

i lucked out when i got my gear reduction starter. there was a used one on ebay with an opening bid of $30 and shipping of $15. i placed a high bid of $50 since it was used, and nobody else bid on it so i got it for $45 including shipping. you will definately be amazed at the difference in cranking speed.

i did a little digging for you and came up with a few choices on where to get one. the place i kept seeing in the posts was DB Electrical. they currently have them for $122.00 with free fedex shipping. i also came up with an ebay auction that has a pretty good price.

this auction's seller has a really good rating and the price is slightly better at $116.70 with free shipping.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there smoke at all coming out of the tailpipe? whats the condition on the fuel system?

Fuel system is completely new from the tank to the filter to the electric pump to the matched injectors.. smoke white on startup and for a minute or so when it is cold, but clears up to no smoke at all after it get warm.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the gp controller becouse i had one on the shelf that was brand new from the parsts truck.. I'll see tomarrow morning how it starts cold, still has heat in it from when i had it running before. However i think it started better, i'll varifie that when it's 35 out tomarrow morning... If it still starts like hell, maybe i'll break down and buy a gear reduction starter.. Who has the best price on one??

Black dawg

Reaction score
your 88 came with a gear reduction starter. Are you guys saying that nippendenso style gear reduction starter (versus the stock mitsubishi gear reduction starter) cranks faster.

also I can think of 4 completely different style and output "gear reduction starters" for these motors.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your 88 came with a gear reduction starter. Are you guys saying that nippendenso style gear reduction starter (versus the stock mitsubishi gear reduction starter) cranks faster.

also I can think of 4 completely different style and output "gear reduction starters" for these motors.

:dunno

Black dawg

Reaction score
if your starter is cranking correctly the db electric nippondenso starter is not going to fix it.

If your starting issue persists, take a glow plug out. hook it back to the glow harness and ground the plug, so that you can see if they are getting hot. Should be red hot at 7 or so seconds.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you checked the style of the starter on the truck already right? Did it look like the old style starters or a gear red style? I really dont think these trucks came stock with gear red. starters,, i very could be possibale wrong tho, i know my truck (1992) had a reg. starter on it and i found out about the gear red. starters on this forum

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks old style to me, where do i buy a gear reduction RED starter. maybe i'll have to make a purchase, if everything else checks out..