Still hard starting, WHY!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those wires pull a lot of amps when powering your glowplugs. Those connectors really neck down those two wires and then add a little corrosion for some resistance, instant hot connector, I just bypassed my connector, I solder and heat shrunk them.

I seen a haze of smoke start on mine, thats why i shutt it down asap.. Could something in the gp system or a bad ground cause this:confused:

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
if im not mistaken the yellow wire is known to melt. i think theres a writeup here somewhere to fix it

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if im not mistaken the yellow wire is known to melt. i think theres a writeup here somewhere to fix it

Ya i did some searching but found nothing. Wondering if maybe my gp's are not getting enough power or something, causing the hard start and hot harness..

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
im gonna say the hot harness is your problem. you try the tech articles? ill do a quick search and see what i come up with

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gonna say the hot harness is your problem. you try the tech articles? ill do a quick search and see what i come up with

ya let me know what you find, i'm serching around aswell.. Id like to know my gp's are getting hot enough and that eerything in the system is 100% before i point the hard to start finger at anything else.. thanks

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
About that main engine wiring harness plug.. They melt at that yellow dual wire connecter end. Thats the power feed to the glow plug controler. Just cut off the melted end and pull apart the plug. Apply some die electric grease after cleaning it out with contact cleaner thats harmeless to plastic... any fake *** auto parts store sells both of these. As posted... Replace the two yellow wires directly from the solenoid to the controller. Some like to install a fuse box... Others don't... Its best to have some kind of fuse just incase the controller craps out on you. The wireing harness plug thats melted will be fine for the rest of the wires... Look closely at the tiny electrical fittings in the plug that carry all the amps to the controller... You willl find out why these burn up.... When they are clean they can barely carry enough amps.. any corrosion and they heat up and melt..... Lots of under hood wireing fires start here....I used some red speaker wire from an audio installation shop. Its got plenty of wires in the 4 g. wire or cable... And carrys more amps too. Easy to handle around differant items when tugging it thru the engine compartment....

found this so far

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so from that i take i should run direct power from the solenoid to the gp contoller. I wonder what gauge wire i should use, i kinda got lost in his rant.. thanks for the post

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plug relay turns off my measuring resistance in the glow plug circuit. The resistance of the glowplugs increase as they get hot. If you have resistance somewhere else in the glow plug harness the controller will not know the difference and turn the glow plugs off before they get hot enough. Heat in the harness=resistance. I'd work on that issue first.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plug relay turns off my measuring resistance in the glow plug circuit. The resistance of the glowplugs increase as they get hot. If you have resistance somewhere else in the glow plug harness the controller will not know the difference and turn the glow plugs off before they get hot enough. Heat in the harness=resistance. I'd work on that issue first.

So i should run direct power to the controller and try that first. Mite start like a new one then huh... You guy's are all the best, i woulda never made it past popping the hood without yall..

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well i checked the plug, the two big wires are corroted in the plug. I'm geuss that may be giving me the problem, is there any reason why i cant cut and reconect the big yellow wires bypassing the plug or should i run all new, i dont have the correct 4g wire here or ends to do it rite now...