Sticky Throttle/Cable

cutnhaul

Reaction score
I have a 1994 7.3 F-350. I just finished up replacing the worn out lift pump with a Facet Duralift electric fuel pump and replaced all return lines, caps, and orings. The problem I'm having started before I replaced all that. Whenever I press the pedal down more than 2000 rpms, the pedal will return to idle position, the engine will return to idle, but the pedal will be hard to push in, and engine makes a weird noise, like its running lean or something....hard to explain. the cable seems to be free and the pedal is good. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Taylor

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. How many miles are on the injection pump? They usually last between 125,000 and 150,000 miles. Some get less but very few get more on a pump. You probably need someone looking at the injection pump throttle cable when you push down on the peddle. Also look under the dash to check for correct cable operation. Can't say what the odd noise is from this side of the screen but if you had a video of it maybe others might help out.

cutnhaul

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. How many miles are on the injection pump? They usually last between 125,000 and 150,000 miles. Some get less but very few get more on a pump. You probably need someone looking at the injection pump throttle cable when you push down on the peddle. Also look under the dash to check for correct cable operation. Can't say what the odd noise is from this side of the screen but if you had a video of it maybe others might help out.

Not sure how many miles are on the injection pump. The truck itself has 225k on it. The guy i got it from claimed to have redone a bunch of stuff on it, but so far, I have not seen where any money was spent LOL. I will try to get a video of it. Under 2000 rpms the pedal has no problem. Only if i get to above that does it start acting up.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can narrow it down easily enough. Disconnect the cable from the IP and operate the throttle on the IP by hand, and see if the problem still occurs. If it does, it's something in the IP. If not, it's the cable.

Be sure to be ready to yank the FSS wire to stop the engine in case the throttle sticks while you're under the hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online