Sticks at 1500rpms and Black smoke when pulling my tractor

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll check it out and look into. There are some good deisel shops around town that I'll probably talk with.

Though the injectors are putting out 1600psi vs the 1900-2075 they are supposed to so I may end up changing them anyways because I would like everything to be to specs.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the timing registry: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/timing-service-registry.70126/

Though the injectors are putting out 1600psi vs the 1900-2075 they are supposed to so I may end up changing them anyways because I would like everything to be to specs.

If you get a shop that says they time it by ear DON'T BOTHER. You can get it close by ear but a couple degrees can make a significant difference in these trucks, enough that it's not worth paying someone to time it by ear.

I had @Thewespaul go through a set of used injectors I had and he set the pop pressure at I think 1700psi (my pump is old and tired) my old injectors were at 900psi from old age and they still worked just fine. The injectors popped at 1700psi made a noticeable difference. Not HUGE but definitely noticeable.

I'm just trying to save you some money is all. As long as the shop knows what they're doing it's fine but I only trust a couple of people for IP and injectors and they're all members on here.

Suleiman Saadeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I messaged @renjaminfrankln since he's in Raleigh NC and I'm just down the road in Wilmington NC. Hopefully he can help me out when I hear back.

I dont mind paying as long as I know I'm getting it right. I'm with you on getting someone on here to do it. I've had a tremendous amount of help from people here.

I've saved thousands from not having a shop work on the head gaskets and IP and more just from what people here have told me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm hoping so. I had no idea I had to time it once I put it in. People told me If i removed the gear cover I'd have to time it but i think itll be in good shape after this too.
There's gear timing, which is needed if you remove the injector pump gear. Once this is set and the gear cover is bolted on this can't change. There's also injector pump timing which needs to be done every time you remove the injector pump. Internal wear in the pump can also affect this. Generally, when someone talks about the timing on our engines, it's the pump timing. Think of it like a distributor on an older gas engine. Every time you remove it, you have to reset the timing. There's also gear timing on these engines. That only changes when you remove the timing chain (or it stretches).

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So sorry for your experience, but if things were fine before the Pens pump and injectors, it has been repeated, but they do not know what they are doing and have been proven that the parts they rebuilt are often not and never consistent or in spec. Been there, wasted time and money and finally had Accurate Diesel, Bitely,Michigan do rebuilt Standynes and had no issues for 3 years now, improved starting, performance and mileage on a non turbo IDI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online