sterling 10.25 axle seal

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started work on my brakes and noticed both axle seals had let loose. The hubs are off but I can't seem to get the old axle seals out of the hub!! What's the trick??? Everything I've read says to just remove them. Thought I'd stop before I break something

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to chisel mine out with a chisel and ford tool (3 lb sledge hammer) and it took me about 30 minutes per wheel to get them out. But I was carefull to not nick the hub. And by the time that seal came out it was in 5 pieces haha

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking bout the rear axle seal on full floater stearling or does your truck have the dana? Either way i believe you will have to use a slide hammer with the two jaw puller setup. Big socket to drive it back in. that axle uses ratchet style nut to secure the hub I recomment using the socket most auto parts stores will rent it to install it. I dont remember torque specs but I think it has to be tightned to a certain ftlb then backed off like 1/4 turn.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prying device cantilever and sledging hammer. Basically put the tip of the prybar under seal lip, then whack the portion between your hand and the hub

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No no no no no.

Drop the axle but socket down the center of the hub, with the socket surface facing the outer edge, then put you a long extension on it from outside edge(reversed how you would normally do it, then drive out the seal.
Worked perfectly for me.

I used the timken seals.
They are the two piece "bearing" design.

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
From my old days working on brakes Daily! Take out outer bearing put racheting nut back on too spindle turn few turns by hand and slam hub back and forth till seal comes out staying on axle.
BE WARNED! this can damage your bearing if done wrong, But I have done this on many many axles and never an issue. Sterlings are the hardest.

Some aftermarket nuts won't fit down hub either
This is just my method
Don't forget to put grease on bearings or fill hub with oil (by hold hand up to hub face and fill and slam axle in fast) prior to install, and check or over fill housing.

Last edited:

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was able to pry it out, now of course I'm having some issues getting everything back together. When I put the hub back on with new bearings and seal it really doesn't want to fully seat on the spindle. Is that normal? I tried some BFH influence and no change.. bigger hammer or is something wrong?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somethings wrong. I had a guy call me over to help him put a skidsteer hub back on and he had the same problem. Come to find out, he forgot to drive out the old bearing race before he installed the new one. Things happen.

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that wasn't it, may have to pull the seals back out. I'll sleep tonight and mess with it again in the morning.

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I didn't test fit them, they look like they should go on but I did notice there were two different types of seals on either side. I take it I would have to replace it with another repair sleeve?