Steering - Binding

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have essentially replaced the entire front end on my truck. Leaf springs, shackles, tie rod ends, center link, steering box, axle pivot bushings.

While the steering is nice and tight now after all that work, i'm having a weird binding issue. When driving, The steering will occasionally bind, and it will feel difficult to turn one direction, but not the other. When I force it to turn, I get what feels like a shift in the front end, and the problem goes away.

At first I thought this was the axle pivot bushings. So those were replaced. Then, the problem persisted and continued to get worse, to the point where I could not drive it 2 blocks without a major binding event. I had the steering box replaced (with a reman from advance auto parts). I picked the truck up after steering box replacement and drove it locally 2-3 times without experiencing this issue again. I thought the new steering box solved the problem.

Today I drove the truck to work for the first time since steering box replacement, a much longer drive. Unfortunately, I had the binding issue come back 2-3 times on my trip. It happens at any speed.

Did I get a bad replacement steering box? The new box greatly reduced the severity of the problem, but did not eliminate it.

The only other thing I have not replaced is the balljoints. According to the mechanic who did the rest of the front end work, they seem fine. But they are of unknown age (probably really old) I assume he jacked the front end up and checked for play.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Binding in one direction pretty much points to a steering box issue. If something is wrong with a tie rod it would act up in both directions, not unheard of here to get several bad boxes before you get a good one.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Binding in one direction pretty much points to a steering box issue. If something is wrong with a tie rod it would act up in both directions, not unheard of here to get several bad boxes before you get a good one.

Sounds reasonable to me. Replacing the box did improve the problem in a big way. It was really bad before.

Are any of the reman boxes better than another?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I have found, seems hit or miss with them all including the motorcraft remans I have installed.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cannot say that I have, although I may have installed one that a customer brought, dont think Ive ever ordered a lares myself

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4? Check for a frozen front axle u-joint.

Jack up one front tire and lock the hub, give it a sharp spin and your issue should be evident. Try this with both sides.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
X2 on the knuckle U-Joints. Knew someone who chased this very issue and it was a bad knuckle u joint.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4? Check for a frozen front axle u-joint.

Jack up one front tire and lock the hub, give it a sharp spin and your issue should be evident. Try this with both sides.

I can give that a try. Assume you turn the wheel a bit, then spin the tire by hand?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 on the outer u-joints binding. Lock the hubs in and drive it for a little while to loosen them up. A little penetrate sprayed in there may help also. Then unlock the hubs and see if it goes away. I had this same problem also.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest I have never driven it with the hubs engaged. I got it a few months ago and have basically been wrenching on it, or having someone else wrench on it, the whole time.

gandalf

Reaction score
When you lock those hubs and drive it in 4x4 be sure that you're on dirt. 4x4 on dry pavement does not end well. :(

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, will not hurt anything with just the hubs locked in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online