Steering - Binding

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left it in 2wd and locked the hubs. Could feel some binding when turning the wheel. Went away after a few mins. That may have been the problem!

Let yall know if it comes back...

skipperj

Reaction score
I have essentially replaced the entire front end on my truck. Leaf springs, shackles, tie rod ends, center link, steering box, axle pivot bushings.

While the steering is nice and tight now after all that work, i'm having a weird binding issue. When driving, The steering will occasionally bind, and it will feel difficult to turn one direction, but not the other. When I force it to turn, I get what feels like a shift in the front end, and the problem goes away.

At first I thought this was the axle pivot bushings. So those were replaced. Then, the problem persisted and continued to get worse, to the point where I could not drive it 2 blocks without a major binding event. I had the steering box replaced (with a reman from advance auto parts). I picked the truck up after steering box replacement and drove it locally 2-3 times without experiencing this issue again. I thought the new steering box solved the problem.

Today I drove the truck to work for the first time since steering box replacement, a much longer drive. Unfortunately, I had the binding issue come back 2-3 times on my trip. It happens at any speed.

Did I get a bad replacement steering box? The new box greatly reduced the severity of the problem, but did not eliminate it.

The only other thing I have not replaced is the balljoints. According to the mechanic who did the rest of the front end work, they seem fine. But they are of unknown age (probably really old) I assume he jacked the front end up and checked for play.

skipperj

Reaction score
I have essentially replaced the entire front end on my truck. Leaf springs, shackles, tie rod ends, center link, steering box, axle pivot bushings.

While the steering is nice and tight now after all that work, i'm having a weird binding issue. When driving, The steering will occasionally bind, and it will feel difficult to turn one direction, but not the other. When I force it to turn, I get what feels like a shift in the front end, and the problem goes away.

At first I thought this was the axle pivot bushings. So those were replaced. Then, the problem persisted and continued to get worse, to the point where I could not drive it 2 blocks without a major binding event. I had the steering box replaced (with a reman from advance auto parts). I picked the truck up after steering box replacement and drove it locally 2-3 times without experiencing this issue again. I thought the new steering box solved the problem.

Today I drove the truck to work for the first time since steering box replacement, a much longer drive. Unfortunately, I had the binding issue come back 2-3 times on my trip. It happens at any speed.

Did I get a bad replacement steering box? The new box greatly reduced the severity of the problem, but did not eliminate it.

The only other thing I have not replaced is the balljoints. According to the mechanic who did the rest of the front end work, they seem fine. But they are of unknown age (probably really old) I assume he jacked the front end up and checked for play.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I left it in 2wd and locked the hubs. Could feel some binding when turning the wheel. Went away after a few mins. That may have been the problem!

Let yall know if it comes back...

It will come back. The easiest way to test is to turn tires one direction half way, jack up one tire, and with hub locked rotate or spin tire. then just repeat on other side.

skipperj

Reaction score
Maybe the shift feel is loose spring U bolts,which need to be re-torqued after a leaf spring replacement.What usually happens thou is the steering wheel will be in a different position when truck is on the straight.Any signs of rust powder around contact points of the spring and axle pads will tell if there's been any movement.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will come back. The easiest way to test is to turn tires one direction half way, jack up one tire, and with hub locked rotate or spin tire. then just repeat on other side.

Drove about a hundred miles since locking the hubs and no issues yet. I am planning to have the front and rear ends rebuilt and regeared to 3.55 this spring, so i'll get the U-joints replaced at that time.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If they are greaseable get some grease in them, it might help get through that time.