Starters???

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been having cranking and battery issues this fall/winter. New glow plug module! Batteries tested, off the truck one at a time, said to be good and holding a charge.

Put them back in the truck, a sllloooooow cranking and the connection from right side battery to left side battery starts GLOWING!!!

If I hook up a charger, with 100amp start, on the right battery truck will fire up! If I put it on the left battery still slow cranking.

Gonna pull starter to have it tested.

So my thoughts are starter and new cables all the way around? Or am I way off on this di-o?

If starter is the problem any suggestions on starters??

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely as its pulling a lot of current. Im just sayin this is the starter you want.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Russ on the DB starter, cant beat the price. We just lost one but it was almost two years old, with a lot of stopping and starting and thats a better track record than what I've bought from local parts houses in the past.

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth the PO decided that 2 bolts would hold the starter no need to use ALL 3. Also the small 12awg? wire, where it mounts to the post. The post was loose and moves freely and pulls away from the housing. The unit also has something rattling around in it?

Gonna get it tested and get new cables, then if need be get the DB starter.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a great srarter. I was having about the same issue but not anymore. But I put the other starter listed for the 6.9 7.3 on. Whats the difference? I cant get link to work.

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the DB starter a gear reduction starter? I've read on this site that a gear reduction unit is a good upgrade for these trucks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is the 4kw industrial version, I think the stock one is 3 or less. the industrial mounts with only 2 bolts. they work great, yes gear reduction.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is the 4kw industrial version, I think the stock one is 3 or less. the industrial mounts with only 2 bolts. they work great, yes gear reduction.

I've been buying the three bolt cheapies but they do spin fast and cant beat 109 bucks delivered to the front door.

Last edited:

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread (although this may be beneficial to him as well) but what would cause a starter to have to cool down before it will spin fast enough to start the truck? My truck will start fine when it's sat for a while, even after sitting a long time, but if I run it for as briefly as 15 minutes and shut it off it won't spin fast enough to re-fire. If I tap on the starter, it will start it. Keep in mind, this is only after being driven and getting warmed up, I don't have to tap on the starter at all when it's cold, it spins fine then. So, I'm confused as to why it has to cool back down first. Would it be an electrical connection at the battery level or at the starter level possibly? I can't turn it off if I stop to get fuel b/c it may not start and then I'm blocking the pumps until it cools back down, usually in about 20- 30 minutes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bad connections in the electrical field causes a cool down to restart. could be the brushes in the starter or anything connected in the electrical field.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726