Starter ?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
I dont think it will, in my books they look like to completly diff starters
The PSD starter will work. BUT it has its advantages and drawbacks. Advantage...if you have a damaged teeth on the ring gear the PSD starter is good.
Disadvantage.....this starter is very sensitive to voltage drop. If you battery voltage drops and you are still cranking at 11.5 volts, the internals will melt down quickly.
suggestion......stick with the mitsu starter(one with a nosecone) unless you have ring gear issues.

Ggg

Reaction score
So I take it, the starter will physically fit, but it spins slower. possibly requiring longer crank time thus leading to possible internal damage due to extended cranking time. Right?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Ggg said:
So I take it, the starter will physically fit, but it spins slower. possibly requiring longer crank time thus leading to possible internal damage due to extended cranking time. Right?

Would put a strain on the batteries as well due to longer cranking time and cold weather may pose a problem.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is taht why the PSDs take so much longer to start than an IDI? Calvin, this info sounds just like what you said about the Nippon-Denso starters, are they and the PSD starter one and the same thing? I'm very happy with my Mistubishi starter, had it in about a year, and had some hard cranks in that time, lots of starts, no issues.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jdkline said:
Is taht why the PSDs take so much longer to start than an IDI?
I recall someone once saying that PSD's take a relatively long time to start 'cause the engine won't start until there's enough oil pressure present to make the HEUI injectors work...so the engine has to crank until ol pressure builds up before she'll even light off.

I may be remembering it wrong, though...