starter testing

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try starting my van and it gets to the point where it's about to turn over and the starter does this weird looney tunes WWWWHHHHHHIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRR and doesn't engage the fly wheel. Is there anyway to test the starter without removing it from engine. I took it to have it tested a few months ago when it was doing the same thing and the retailer didn't find anything wrong with it. I don't have any reason to believe them now so I need a second opinion.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any way the starter can be tested while still on the engine.

The problem sounds like a classic failing Bendix...the WHIRR is the starter gear turning after the Bendix wasn't able to keep the starter gear on the flywheel anymore...so it's freewheeling. You can just replace the Bendix on some starters, but don't know if the IDI starter is one of these or not.

If nothing else, you can drive the truck over to the retailer, demonstrate the problem to them, and then drive home, pull the starter, and come back...and make sure you talk to the same guy. It might work; it might not.

I have a Pep Boys starter, and it's usually replaced no-questions-asked...done a warranty replacement twice now...

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the Bendix? the thing on the starter that pushes the starter gear towards the flywheel or something like that?

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought so too...

What starters would you recommend? There are two that I've heard of: Delco and Mitsubishi. I'm want to go with Delco because I'm prejudiced against Japanese industrialists. Okay, there I said it, so what?

Any reason why I should reconsider?

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
The bendix on a starter is a one way clutch. It's that extra part on the drive gear.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
krawlr said:
The bendix on a starter is a one way clutch. It's that extra part on the drive gear.

It was also made by Bendix, the same company that still makes parts today (brake pads is only a small product line compared to all they make) and since most if not all domestic ones said Bendix on them, they were coined with that name. Usually, the whole clutch assembly and gear is available separately. If that is what is wrong, you may have damage to your flywheel/ringgear as well or it may be they are damaged allowing the starter gear (Bendix) to slip or not engage the teeth completely.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
I took a Mitsubishi starter in to swap for a new one under my lifetime warrenty, when they hooked it to the tester you could slowly count each tooth on the Bendix as it went by, the machine said it passed. They gave me a new one anyway.

Your problem could be with the Bendix solenoid, power from the fender solenoid will spin the started, but it takes the one mounted on the starter to shove the Bendix into the fly-wheel.