STALLING ON WMO MIX

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i filled up my tank with w85 waste oil and went on a trip.... 3/4 of the tank it ran fine, then all of the sudden it was stalling left and right, surging like crazy and stuff like that. i put #2 diesel in the rear tank and switch to that, and it runs fine... that seem unusual to you?

i have been running wmo for months. any idea whats going on?

i found it odd that 3/4 of the tank it was fine.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure it wasn't just running out of fuel on that tank? The pickup might have broken off and you can only get the top 3/4 of fuel out of the tank. Common problem.

Tim.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was thinking. These tanks have issues with the suction heads breaking off and the last 1/4 tank of fuel is too low for the broken suction. If its the front tank its easy to remove the sender and repair the suction by adding about 3 or 4 inches of 3/8 hose and one clamp so it now reaches the bottom of the tank. Or buy the shower head suction from Ford. They are expensive and we don't know how long they wil last. To reach the front tank sender reach up under the tank from the drive shaft. The sender is fastened to the tank just like any other sender. It has a ring that needs to be knocked loose. Then lift out. Of course you have to remove the supply & return lines and the electrical plug but thats it. There is a square o ring and the sender has a locating pin in the seal area that must be colocked or the sender wont fit back in the opening. The rear tank is a horrible job of cutting loose the fuel lines on the frame cross member. Then removing the fill spout. Then removing the spare tire and mount. Then dropping the tank that still has 1/4 tank of fuel so it sloshes back and forth giving you fits trying to balance it. Of course you never try to install it with that fuel in it either...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fuel pressure gauge after your FSV and fuel pump would tell you a lot.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IIRC, w85 cleans like a ****. Enough to eat the coating off the tank I think. So maybe something finally broke loose and clogged the pickup line.

Or maybe the hose you used either came off or deteriorated.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is your WMO filtered and do you run any additive in the mix?
I made one batch a few years back that as soon as it made it to the
injection pump the engine shut down.
After that episode I redesigned my whole filtration process
not a single issue since then 20,000 miles ago.

I believe my batch had too much acidity in it. I still have 20 gallons
so One day I can sample it and see what actually happened.

Javier

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online