SRW vs DRW Shock Differences?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Please move if not in the right sub section.

In looking up shocks via autozone, I notice that there are 2 of everything with notes on one for DRW trucks and the other for everything but DRW trucks. I know C&C trucks have the lower shock mounts set in more than the pickup DRW 10.25's, but is there really any difference between our pickup 10.25 DRW and SRW axles?

I've surely never noticed, but can't measure and compare since Bruiser's 10.25 is a C&C axle that I cut the perches off and welded new ones on along with new lower shock tabs. I'm thinking of grabbing a set of Gabriel Load Carrier coilover shocks for the rear on the Enterprise later since they cost less per pair than one of the MaxControl shocks.

Maybe it's just a precaution against fleets buying the wrong shocks for their C&C trucks? :dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i swapped in a drw axle in place of a srw in chip truck and never swapped out shocks.no difference that im aware of.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Just didn't make any since unless they are trying to cover their a** when it comes to the C&C trucks.

And I forgot, but the Gabriel Load Carriers are $116 per pair and the MaxControls are $59 each, so about the same price. The price difference is in the fronts. $49 a pastor for the Load Carriers and same price for the MaxControls as the rear, each.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go higher quality than those.
Albeit more expensive, I want to get the fox shocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Bilsteins website.....

I searched on a 1990 Ford F-350 XLT Lariat 7.3L Diesel

The only question is asked was 4x4 or RWD...... it didn't ask anything about SWR/DWR....

Here is the link to the search page: http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mmid=139718/drivetype=RWD

I do see it specify SWR and DWR in the description..... but looking at the application chart, it shows they both fit the same trucks.... But the one listed for SWR says it fits 1980-2013 F-250 and F-350, the DWR one shows for 1980-1997 Bronco, F-150, F-250 and F-350......... Not sure what the difference is, the pictures look the same.........

One place there is a difference is in the F-250 4x4 and the F-350 4x4 (number of rear wheels doesn't matter, and it is with a pickup box, not C&C)

The D-50 Equipped 4x4 has a 2 inch rear block between the spring and axle for stock height. The D-60 Equipped 4x4 has a 4 inch rear block for stock height..... so an F-250 D-50 4x4's shocks will be ~2 inches shorter than an F-350 D-60 4x4........

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's why I'm glad they give the stroke and compressed/limit length measurements. I always check those. I'd love to get some really high quality/price shocks, but not in the cards for awhile. Gotta do the 4x4 conversion before that :sly

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Save up for the Bilsteins......... you will thank me....... just ask others on here........

There are Bilsteins, and then there are just shocks........

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've had plans to get some for awhile now, but my shock dimensions will change on both trucks and I can't justify dropping that much coin on nice shocks that I'll have to ditch later. Bruiser is looking at her D60 front swap and 4-6" of lift with progressive rear springs (will need long travel shocks) and the Enterprise will also undergo a front D60 swap and will probably need F250 factory rear blocks, if not the taller F350 blocks. I won't be swapping out rear springs on the dually since I got luck enough to land one with heavy packs and overloads.

Then I'm going to see/feel the amazing ride quality of heard of from Blistein shocks :D Bruiser may end up with remote resevoir Ballistic Fab shocks...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the Bilsteins from Amazon for not much more than you are looking at AZ. I think I had 90 in the rear and 120 in the front... no that sounds too high. I was surprised how close they were to the cheapies though. Go to bilstein and get the pn's and then search amazon.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I got the Bilsteins from Amazon for not much more than you are looking at AZ. I think I had 90 in the rear and 120 in the front... no that sounds too high. I was surprised how close they were to the cheapies though. Go to bilstein and get the pn's and then search amazon.

Now THAT'S an idea. Having a lifetime warrenty on the coilover shocks is pretty handy too, however. Checking ebay for Blisteins now.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Bilsteins on my DD F150, 100k miles so far, and on my sons SD 6.0, the better ones on his (7100 series?) about 5 k so far he says a huge difference, got front level springs and 4 shocks for 500 shipped from SD truck springs

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered Bilsteins for the rear of my truck (F350 height)... I think they are the same as the F250? My F250 shocks are on it now and fit with no trouble when I did my D60 and bigger blocks in the rear.

I was quoted $180 EACH for the Bilsteins in Canada (Carquest). Ordered them on Wed from Summit Racing, $69.97 each and they gave me a hat ;Sweet We get ripped in Canada for prices... Coulda put sh!tty monroes on for more $CDN than the Bilsteins from the States.:frustrate so no whining about prices... just put them on! :cheers:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70