Squeal at shutoff??

Splash

Reaction score
Sorry for yet another question but whenever I turn the truck off I hear a squeal from the engine bay and don't know what it could be. I just hope that if it is something that needs fixed it won't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance for any help.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Just for S&G's disconnect the a/c wire at the pump so it can't come on and then see if the squeal goes away or not.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Does it make any funky noises while running? Or just on shut down? Might be a belt slipping on shut down

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey Splash, don't worry about it.
Yours, and mine, and most of the rest of them do it.
Changing out the belt will stop it from happening
for a little while, and it will start to do it again soon after.
It's a very common thing on these motors.

Splash

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help and it just does it when I shut the engine off. It runs perfectly fine. Every once in a while, it does not squeal when I shut off the engine but 9 outta 10 times it does. Thanks again for the help. Also I don't think it is the A/C because it will even squeal at shut off without the A/C running.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the reason it squeals is simple....the fan clutch is locked in,, either because its supposed to be at that time due to heat, or its getting worn. its normal, they all do it every now and again if not all the time. if its NOT doing it, i suggest you have your fan clutch checked. the belt squeals/chirps due to the mass of the fan, it wants to continue to turn..(any object in motion will remain in motion unless an equal or greater force stops it).. so when you turn the truck off, everything comes to abrubt hault...except the fan blades. dont worry about it.

Splash

Reaction score
Thanks for the help holtzer, I apologize for all the questions I have asked. It is just this is my first diesel and I am still learning a lot about that but I absolutley love it. The next vehicle I get will definitely be another diesel and if Dodge sticks to the Cummins, it will be a Dodge. Again I appreciate the help and advice. Have a happy and safe 4th of July. :)

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
The belt chirp seems to happen more often on the automatics, maybe the torque converter has less inertia than a flywheel and the engine can turn backwards quicker.

Darrin, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but 7 grand for a first gen 2x4 and the lady is riding a bus for 1000 miles to get it???!! You must be a heck of a salesman!! I wonder what they sell for in NY? At least it has a beer keg in the bed!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Darrin, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but 7 grand for a first gen 2x4 and the lady is riding a bus for 1000 miles to get it???!! You must be a heck of a salesman!! I wonder what they sell for in NY? At least it has a beer keg in the bed!

She looked for a couple of month's for this truck. They are getting hard to find especally in the condition this truck was in. There have been a few run throught the local traders for 8 to 10K for the same truck. She got a nice truck and I sold it to her for $6200.00. Just another happy customer!
Oh, and yes I am one heck of a salesman,... ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle