Spring E4OD issues!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Good evenin everyone! Haven't posted in a while. Been on long hauls over winter!

I just took out my 1991 E250 Club Wagon out for a run, gonna be my DD again for this summer since winter is gone.

Not starting off to well though.

E4OD in it, is stuck in 3rd, won't shift at all on it's own, I can get it to hit 2nd if I manually shift it to 2 or 1, but won't go into 1st, stays in 2nd, and if I go back to Drive, it goes back in 3rd no matter what speed i'm going, even stopped, it'll take off in 3rd if I don't manually shift it to take off in 2nd? OD doesn't work either.

OD light isn't flashing, but it is very dimly lite. Can the problem be the actual OD cancel switch? I don't think it works anymore, it broke into 2 pieces last year, I glued it back together, had no problems, now the van sat all winter, with no batteries in it, and when I noticed the tranny stuck in 3rd, I hit the OD button a couple times, and the switch broke into 2 pieces again, it's back together, but light doesn't work anymore, and button doesn't do anything. TC doesn't lock either, but it's never did since i've owned the van. Never bothered enough to look into it, I replaced the TPS last year with a Ford one (120$ later) and made no difference.

Tranny only has 47k miles on it (was rebuilt some years ago), last season I exchanged all the fluid from it, changed the filter, and it's still perfect looking, level is in range as well.

Any ideas gang?

It works and shifts great between 2nd and 3rd manually shifting it, but that's the only gears it's got.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put some thought into replacing the shift lever. They're somewhat of a common replacement item, especially when the wires start going bad at the base, where it connects to the column.

In the meantime, I'd check the fuses to TECA, as well as check the TECA/PCM relay pins for corrosion. I swapped the horn and TECA relays because it was a convenient source for a similar relay that has had low load during its life.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Well that was easy, I took the relay out, looked good, no corrosion at all, just hit it a couple times on the rad, and it started working again.

TC still isn't locking, but no worries to me. I already bought a new relay so I will replace it anyways. I noticed the new relay has an extra pin in it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk