Spring came out of front axle seal, need to replace?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys, while working on my dads truck today I decided to clean out all the dirt that was crammed up in the I-beam frame. Well I found the spring to what looks to be an axle seal in the dirt.
So Im going to go out on a limb here and say it needs replaced. :dunno
Is this going to be a total PITA? How do you get the pumpkin out of the beams? Just the bolts on the front?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay well as far as I know this is the Spicer 50.5 front axle. I got axle seals for both sides coming, might as well do both at the same time.
Has anyone ever taken this appart before?
Is the front seal a molded silicone or paper gasket?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hope someone answers you beacause I noticed my driverside is leaking really bad. If its a real PITA I might have my buddy do it while I'm at work.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I know you have to drop the pumpkin out of the beams, but not sure how bad it is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you have to drop the pumpkin out of the beams, but not sure how bad it is.

Well lets just say it aint fun by any means, though well worth the effort. While u got it out....why not look into a locker for that front diff and do a real good inspection of axle ujoints too. Get em replaced now if needed while all is out and removed.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the seal was removed by a previous owner and the spring was left? I'd hate to see you replace a perfectly good seal.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if its not leaking i would let is be, the springs should be in the inside of the seal anyway and only come out if the seal is totally trashed. i have not done one in a front but i have done several rears.

might be a good excuse to get a solid front in there;Sweet if you do go in i would up grade the bushings while you are at it....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what looks to be an axle seal in the dirt.

If it's been there that long as to be buried in dirt, and your not having any problem, I'd bet it is from some past history, and nothing to worry about. If oil isn't leaking out, then dirt probably isn't leaking in.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Mel is right-if you don't see oil and the oil level is up ,don't mess with it if possible.I have done it many times.It takes a while to explain but I am willing to explain it over the Phone if need be.918-485-3567 -I can call back as I have a toll free line. Mr Bill

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well the thing is I think the dirt was sealing it and the seal is toast. Cus there's a little bit of dirt inside the housing that I can feel with my finger and I cant see any oil.
So my dad just wants to do it and have it over with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7