Speedo gear confusion...

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My speedo has died. I've been down this road before, but it was the driven gear on the cable. This time, it's the one inside the t-case. I've looked in the hole with a mirror, and the one in there is a light green colour, I've got one on my bench from another BW1345 that's yellow, and when I go to the dealer to order it today, the parts guy says that all his listings from '82 to '87 show the BW 1345 to have a blue coloured gear, and that it is the same for all axles, but you just change the driven gear on the cable to make the speedo read right. This make any sense? Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm thinking since I've got the yellow one, I might just throw it in there and see what happens, and how it reads. It's got the same number of teeth as the green one that's in there, so it looks to me like it should work...?!

Any thoughts... cookoo :frustrate :rolleyes: :***:

(I love going to the dealer ...)

Zigg

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yea they should all be the same in side the transfer and you change the one on the cable to get it to read right depending on the gears in the tranny I say throw it in there

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Nope They are differnt in the case and the same on the cable just went through this one. 1345 are you sure most diesels had a 1356 and a yellow gear however there are about 10 drive gears to choose from and without a t case tag ford dealers have no clue where to look as there are no good parts people anymore.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
yea they should all be the same in side the transfer and you change the one on the cable to get it to read right depending on the gears in the tranny I say throw it in there

I am confused! I don't have any gears on the cable, wasn't that only for cruise control? I changed to those 4.10's and planned on taking the one out of my 85 transfer case and putting it in my 87 to make the speedo right.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Nope it is used for both as the is a cable driven by the gear the 2 wires coming off it go to the cruise. But the gear turns the cable

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
Nope They are differnt in the case and the same on the cable just went through this one. 1345 are you sure most diesels had a 1356 and a yellow gear however there are about 10 drive gears to choose from and without a t case tag ford dealers have no clue where to look as there are no good parts people anymore.

My 84 has the 1345, while my 90 has the 1356 transfer case. I have changed out both those transfer cases and they came with new speedometer gears, but the shop never even asked me what differential ratios I had. They both work well, so I think it don't matter. Just my opinion.

akoldnav

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
akoldnav said:
My 84 has the 1345, while my 90 has the 1356 transfer case. I have changed out both those transfer cases and they came with new speedometer gears, but the shop never even asked me what differential ratios I had. They both work well, so I think it don't matter. Just my opinion.

akoldnav

I can tell you that the gear does matter in my truck. My speedo cable runs directly from the transfer case to the speeometer. I changed from 3.55's to 4.10's and my speedo is way off. I had my wife drive my work car (2 years old) at 60 and I was running over 75 (pushing 80) to stay with her. As there is no other "place" to make a gear change, it has to be using different gears in the transfer case.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been several years since I changed one of my transfer cases, so you probably are correct. I probably had to change the small geared ring over, and I just don't remember.

akoldnav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online