Spectra radiator lasted 6 months

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah advance goes off their computers after 3 years,last I knew.That's what I like about AZ.No receipt needed and it doesn't expire.I've never had 1 issue,over the years,with exchanging a lifetime warrantied part there.That's why I'm just going there this time.
It is just a 2 row uh? Does it work ok for ya? What kind of weight are you typically grossing with it?

The problem with the Champion's I read,was their warranty was basically useless.Meaning if they do honor it,your stuck with the shipping,making it not worthwhile to try and exchange it.That's if it comes undamaged.Too bad they're not an option in parts stores though.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say I'm delighted about aluminum or plastic tanks or it just being a 2 row either but what ya gunna do? It's not like there are many options these days.

Has anyone tried one of the copper brass ones available?

Or is that the style that failed in six months?

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yeah advance goes off their computers after 3 years,last I knew.That's what I like about AZ.No receipt needed and it doesn't expire.I've never had 1 issue,over the years,with exchanging a lifetime warrantied part there.That's why I'm just going there this time.
It is just a 2 row uh? Does it work ok for ya? What kind of weight are you typically grossing with it?

The problem with the Champion's I read,was their warranty was basically useless.Meaning if they do honor it,your stuck with the shipping,making it not worthwhile to try and exchange it.That's if it comes undamaged.Too bad they're not an option in parts stores though.

Well, at 7600-ish lbs and about a gallon low on coolant, normal driving temps have been...normal. With a full system in 80*+ weather with the total load at about 13 tons and on hills, it kept rather cool. Has one grade that I had to back out of the throttle on due to EGT's and held it at about 1100* with coolant holding at about 220-230*.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of the copper brass ones available?

Or is that the style that failed in six months?

I think that the tall style radiators are the only ones that have a plastic tank. All the wide style radiators that I've seen (and it seems like only Spectra and APDI make them) do not have plastic tanks.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a champion 4 row aluminum. Arrived very well packaged and in perfect shape

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

kla94

Reaction score
I checked on a spectra at AutoZone last year and was told by customer support through an email that it was a four core copper and brass radiator. It was for my 94. I didn't get it though, price was right at 400.
Pretty sure it was the B1166

Last edited:

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the same radiator right now. Short wide brass and copper spectra, few months old and leaking. I'm thrilled. Autozone is replacing it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked mine up today.Looks good.Cheap but undamaged.We'll see how it goes.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think anything spectre pretty much sucks. Had one in a gmc truck years ago and after about 6 months, integrated trans cooler ruptured and pumped about a gallon of transmission oil into cooling system.
JUNK!
Although a lot of new cars have those plastic and metal radiator design with no probs :dunno

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having said all that, it's probably not a good idea to skimp on a radiator, or anything "cooling" related. Just think of it for a second. If it fails in the wrong place at the wrong time, for instance going up a long incline or bridge with no shoulder, you will smoke your engine. A couple hundred junk spectre radiator just costed you a 5k engine. Not to mention downtime. Just my .02!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having said all that, it's probably not a good idea to skimp on a radiator, or anything "cooling" related. Just think of it for a second. If it fails in the wrong place at the wrong time, for instance going up a long incline or bridge with no shoulder, you will smoke your engine. A couple hundred junk spectre radiator just costed you a 5k engine. Not to mention downtime. Just my .02!

No road like that around here.Even if there was,I would just shut her down right there in the road and traffic would have to wait until it got towed off.What else we supposed to do for radiators? Some of us can't have downtime when (not if) the radiators fail.We need a local swap and go option.Mail order just wont cut it.

Plastic tanks and aluminum cores are the new norm now guys.Nothing we can do about it.Lifetime warranty is all you can look for.
Welcome to Chi'merica.:D

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Having said all that, it's probably not a good idea to skimp on a radiator, or anything "cooling" related.

After that post, if your radiator fails I expect to only see you post about your new Rodney Red in the future...... ;Poke

Myself, I have a spare factory rad I pulled in the junkyard and had re-cored locally

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After that post, if your radiator fails I expect to only see you post about your new Rodney Red in the future...... ;Poke

Myself, I have a spare factory rad I pulled in the junkyard and had re-cored locally

No longer have the truck but it gets driven 1K a week so I'm told. Champion rads hold up just fine. They aren't made using plastic and pressed metal clamps. They are all welded so you can't go wrong. Got one in my Jeep and it works great. Don't expect to have any problems with it.
Factory rads would be my preference but they are hard to find and pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online