Spectra radiator lasted 6 months

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a new Spectra radiator early in the year and it has already developed a leak. I'm disappointed in the quality. Because I have the wide style radiator, I'm stuck with the standard replacement options. Luckily Rockauto warranties it and covers shipping, so I hope the replacement hold up better than this one. End of rant.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally thought the one in my F250 was leaking,then it didn't seem to be anymore,now it defiantly does lol.She's steaming now with truck at idle.I see it and I had to add a gallon the other day.:eek:
I think I'll try a spectra this time.Autozone sells them with a lifetime warranty so,that's a huge plus.I wont be too happy either,if it only last 6 months.Much rather try one of these than a plastic tank option though.A mail order rad is no good with a commercially used truck.When it fails,I need a local,swap and go quick option.

Edit;Oh it is plastic tanks.Well damn.

Last edited:

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running an American Eagle Two 1" row all aluminum radiator. I've had it for a year and a half, no leaks, towed my 5000# travel trailer up the Baker grade in California with 115F temps (passenger cars were overheating) maximum coolant temps were 220'sF. I'm very happy with it. I tried ordering a 4 row champion from another vendor, it came beat to hell, so I sent it back. I also became convinced that 2 big rows is better than four small ones sooo... I ordered the AE direct from Champion and it arrived in good shape. http://www.championradiators.com/American-Eagle-Ford-F-series-diesel-radiator-shroud-1983-1994

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally thought the one in my F250 was leaking,then it didn't seem to be anymore,now it defiantly does lol.She's steaming now with truck at idle.I see it and I had to add a gallon the other day.:eek:
I think I'll try a spectra this time.Autozone sells them with a lifetime warranty so,that's a huge plus.I wont be too happy either,if it only last 6 months.Much rather try one of these than a plastic tank option though.A mail order rad is no good with a commercially used truck.When it fails,I need a local,swap and go quick option.

Edit;Oh it is plastic tanks.Well damn.
Yeah, I wish I hadn't purchased it online because the return is a hassle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The Enterprise had one in it when I bought the truck (tall/narrow rad). Only problem I've had with it is the flimsy thumb tab on the drain petcock ripped off. Replaced that whole deal with a short 1/4" brass extension and a 1/4" all brass petcock.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm gunna try one.Can't say I'm delighted about aluminum or plastic tanks or it just being a 2 row either but what ya gunna do? It's not like there are many options these days.So long as it works I guess I don't care a whole lot on how long as it lasts.With a lifetime warranty and I can exchange it right in the store.Might have to wait a day to get one in during an exchange but,that's the cool thing about autozone,they can usually get what they don't have overnight.
It's the reason I went with their reman starters.Lifetime warranty and don't have to keep buying them.Those are holding up good by the way,considering I start chip truck multiple times a day,moving the truck around constantly.So long as it cools well enough,I guess plastic will have to do.Not crazy about it but plastic rads come in about everything these days I suppose.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Be sure to open and check it out in the store. FedEx delivers the special order items and they aren't always gentle with them. I though chip truck had the tall/narrow rad? My Spectra is a 3 row.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh ok.All I could find for row count was on summit racing website.It shows 2.That's good to know it's 3! Should work nicely then.
Yup.All '92+ use the tall rad,regardless of air conditioning or not.Even though,oddly enough,I see the parts stores still show the older,short version as an option.It never was after '91.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember Autozone, Advance and others have lifetime free "replacement" not "replacements". Big difference. I have returned things for my warranty and they tear up the receipt or mark it up. If they didn't for you good, the person behind the counter forgot. But it's happened to me several times and I have asked about it and they admitted that to me. They will replace it one time only, not multiple times the rest of your life. Hold tight onto your receipt if you can when you go in.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Autozone is the only place that actually has a lifetime warrenty because the warrenty system is computerized. O'reilly's purges they're purchase history after a few months and Advanced keeps records that go with the manager when they leave/change stores or just "forget".

Btw, I lied, my Spectra is indeed a 2 row (just checked). All the more reason to plan for a 4 row Champion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online