south side Diesel news project

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Long running joke to call the barn at my house south side diesel. Any who, my latest build is a 7.3 that will have 6.9 heads, typ4 cam, ported and polished heads. New bearings, lifters,push rods, rockers and valves. It will be resealed. I am unsure if it will be turboed or if my 2nd set of headers are going on. So after the rally pics will be starting to come in.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you putting 6.9 heads on a 7.3? They have smaller head bolts and would need machined I'm sure. Is there even enough metal to do that and what is the benefit other than added cooling? And as for cooling, couldn't those plugs just be taken out of the 7.3 head and use the 6.9 gasket? I believe, from what Icanfixall has said, that the 6.9 gaskets are dimensionally the same except for those plugs are open on the gasket...

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The head bolt holes can be opened up. I like the 6.9 head design better due to injectors spray on the glow plug and they seam to get better mpg's

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
All the above is true. I recall a member here drilled out the heads using a 1/2 inch hand drill and I forgot what size drill bit. But there is material enough to drill them out. The block will have plugs in the lower corners that has to be removed to run the 6.9 heads. Use the 6.9 head gaskets too because they have the coolant passages already made in them. Are you doing any balanceing or machine work to align bore the crank main webs. Sounds like its going to be a nice project. Might want to install the 910 valve springs too. they are a little higher spring rate that helps out the sealing at higher rpms. A new set of pushrods is on ebay now for $24.00. Thats a price that can't be beaten anywhere. May also want to make sure you have the better cam gear. The gear that has the two holes drilled and tapped in it has a balance problem. I think I can post up a pic of the one you don't want to reuse.

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So wanna drag mine out of the woods and rebuild it while your at it:sly
Or just wait till August and I can get mad at it myself.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
So wanna drag mine out of the woods and rebuild it while your at it:sly
Or just wait till August and I can get mad at it myself.

If you want, I can build an engine like pig's for you. I do have a 2nd set of headers. I'll just reseal it better LOL

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
You know where to find it :D and we can get some of these projects done. I can't fix my own trucks ya know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle