Source for the return line hose?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we have a source for the cloth-covered return fuel line hose? I need some more of the stuff for the new, larger size return caps, and I'd really rather not pay for a whole return line kit to get just a few feet, rather buy a whole spool and be set for life.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isn't cloth-covered, but it looks as if it might work?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a Google search...

I read your first post then was poking around in Google,
I didn`t think about McMaster-Carr

Last time I did the 86 6.9, I bought hose from O`Reilly off the roll and rubber hose.
When you cut the sections between the Caps, ea piece has a curve to it. I placed alternated ea section, then it kept it straight and no leaks.

If you order from them, also get a few bags of the "O" Rings for the Injectors. Think they come in bags of 50, size 111.

Goat

Last edited:

Tod Rockstead

Reaction score
YOU CAN ALWSAYS GOTO A LAWNMOWER SERVICE SHOP AND GET SOME OF THE CLEAR FUEL LINE . IT A GREAT TOOL FOR DIAGNOSING AIR INTRUSION.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I used regular low pressure fuel line on my RV. Almost 3 years later, it's still fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP last line says...

I'd really rather not pay for a whole return line kit to get just a few feet, rather buy a whole spool and be set for life.

He lives in Delta Junction Alaska, and maybe cannot just run to the corner Auto Supply. Always nice to have a good supply on hand.
Iam 7 miles to the closest supply, that`s 14 miles round trip.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The OP last line says...

I'd really rather not pay for a whole return line kit to get just a few feet, rather buy a whole spool and be set for life.

He lives in Delta Junction Alaska, and maybe cannot just run to the corner Auto Supply. Always nice to have a good supply on hand.
Iam 7 miles to the closest supply, that`s 14 miles round trip.

Goat

I didn't use a kit, I reused old clamps and caps from my truck (it got a kit). I had spare O-rings too, so I just bought the fuel line itself.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CharlesG

Reaction score
This is what I used on my return lines. It's an SAE 30R7 rated hose.
You must be registered for see images attach

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/16"ID? That's the size for the older style, right? I believe my '91 would need the 1/4"ID? The wall thickness on that stuff is a lot more, so bigger OD, right? Do the stock clamps work on it? Do they go over the OD, and do they squeeze hard enough to seal?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Cubey I used my old caps, used the fuel line from Napa, and first used Buna N o-rings from tractor supply. The o-rings only lasted a few years so I order the viton from McMaster carr and have been good since.

I did not have any trouble with the fuel line from Napa and the clamps. But you had better see what size line it takes before ordering any. I can't remember if mine took the 3/16 or the 1/4".

CharlesG

Reaction score
3/16"ID? That's the size for the older style, right? I believe my '91 would need the 1/4"ID? The wall thickness on that stuff is a lot more, so bigger OD, right? Do the stock clamps work on it? Do they go over the OD, and do they squeeze hard enough to seal?

Yes, I have the early style return caps, you would need 1/4" ID. The stock clamps work fine, I've had them on the truck for a couple years.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my '87 is the only one with the smaller hose, and I definitely plan to change that over to the 1/4" hose next time I work on that truck.

BW42

Reaction score
About 2013 I bought a complete fuel return kit for my 93 7.3 idi. Wish I remembered from where. A couple of years ago, the cloth-covered hose that came with the kit began to seep fuel -- every piece of that hose. I have used cloth-covered hose bought in Germany for 30 years on a high-pressure system for a Porsche, with Bosch injectors, no problem. Needles to say very disappointed in this hose. I have replaced (piecemeal) that hose with Autozone high-pressure hose. Also solved a couple of air injection problems at the same time. A bit more expensive than the cloth-covered hose, but I'll never trust cloth-covered hose bought in the States again. -- BW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online