Something Strange on Road Trip

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying that I haven't used my reat tank for at least 5 months due the price of fuel (can't afford to fill both at the same time), and because the rubber collar the joins the outer steel neck with the inner neck on the tank leaks.
so, on trip down to Dallas it's fighting a head wind all the way and getting 10 miles per gallon, CRAP. Oh well, just live with it
You must be registered for see images
. Well, on the way back after about three tanks of fuel, I'm filling up front tank and notice the friggin' rear tank is leaking fuel at that collar. ***, over? I switch the tank selector to check the rear tank. It's friggin' FULL
You must be registered for see images
. As best I can figure, the fuel return line at the selector valve is NOT returning unused fuel to the front tank and it's going to the back tank. Valve stuck? Well, I'm gonna hafta get under there soon to install all the trick parts I've just scarfed from Bobby, so I'll check the valve and electrical connections. Just wanted to throw this out there. Maybe I'm gettin' better mileage than I thought? I checked the valve and it only has 3 ports, and the connection is clean. I was looking for a new valve and found a TSB from Ford about a Recall for this very problem in 1989. Anyone have a spare 3 port selector valve or know the part # and where to get one? I fixed the rear tank valve and installed the rear anti-sway bar today. Perfect fit:thumbsup: . Also engine did not use even one drop of oil on the 600 mile trip:thumbsup: . OkieGringo

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Those dayum selector valves are a picky POS. A friend of mine had that happen to him, only he did fill both tanks at a time. I just happened to following him one night n my car was getting this nice coating of somethin, then after a mile er so I smelled diesel, flagged him down, n when we attempted to remove the rear cap it damn near blew clean across the road! (n covered my nice new cowboy boots in fuel!! ;Pissed ) sorry dont have any good info to add, but yer not alone Okie!

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Hmm, my AllData doesn't show the part#. :confused: I have heard of this before. Pretty sure it's a dealer item.

I was afraid to even use my rear tank because the valve on mine looks like it's been through hell. When I finally decided to try I filled the rear tank. Went to hang the nozzle up and saw the tank dripping. Like an idiot I reach down and poke at the hole and fuel starts to pour out. :eek: Luckily I wasn't far from home and got a catch pan under it.

But the valve still works! LOL

Last edited:

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Better then what happened to my valve, it had switched enough to get some fuel through it, but the return was blocked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online