Solid front axle conversoin?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, Dana 44 TTB. I will have to say that your rig would be an exception to the common experience. I've only driven older Fords. Every TTB 4x4 I've had has been one head ache after the other. The ball joints don't last and they are a PITA to replace. The bushing wear out, the allignment never holds for long, and the TTB set up wonders all other the place once these parts start to wear out. You're lucky, I've had only problems with the TTB. The ride quality if the solid 60 is no worse than the TTB, at least in my experience. The 60 in my opinion (you know what they say about opinions) is a better all around axle.

Heath

I can't see any comparison at all. The D60 is used for all kinds of HD apps, rock crawling and such, and that is because it is a better axle. My truck, with F350 springs and the add a leaf's, drives like a corvette compared to the D44, it rides BETTER, not worse - even with the stiff springs. My wife has all kinds of back problems and will at least now ride in my truck on occaision, something she would never do before. The axle is also much better because there are less things to wear out, no pivot bushings etc. Just bearings, King Pins (which rarely wear out) and wheel u joints (2 in the D60 compared to 4 in the D44). On my swap, the only change I made after the axle install was to use the yoke and double cardon front drive shaft from the donor. It was all bolt in, no custom anything and as for getting the yoke off, there is no way it could have been easier to change the cross member! A 3/4 inch ratchet and 10 minutes, both removed and replaced - yep, took two off, put two on, one in the truck one the transfer case was out. By using that drive shaft, I also have tons of deflection so I can still raise my truck more if the desire hits me.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not a torsion bar it is a panhard rod. Keeps the axle from moving side to side because of the big rubber bushings in the spring eyes. It is absolutly necessary.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
With that big ole heavy diesel hanging above the front axle, I would say yes, it is necessary. I would think even on the old gasser stuff that didn't have them, they would have helped!

They are really no big deal to install though. I took the bracket off the 85 and the holes were already drilled on the 87 crossmember to bolt it on, again, nothing but wrenching! The whole front end on mine short of the spring bushings (the bolt going through the middle seems to grow into the sleeve in the bushing from rust) was all, unbolt from one truck, bolt into the other. I used the smoke wrench on the spring eye bolts for 2 reasons, the one already mentioned, and the second, because I could!!! :)

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, took a look today, and was sadly dissappointed. It was a F150 supercab, guess my friend didn't really know what he had. Turns out he bought it for parts to fix his 87 F350 Crew Cab, the C6 was shot and the F150 had a 460 and a C6 in it. So, no swapping for now, but I'll be keeping my eyes out for a parts truck!

Thanks all for the information, this board is just a wealth of knowledge.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I know happiness/satisfaction with TTB front ends can vary widely. The Moose Truck has always been a little ******* the right front tire, but I won't say that it "eats" them. As long as you rotate, you can get a full use out of a set of tires. There is no appreciable difference between the D44/D50 in my opionion. Yes, the D44 is slightly lighter at the spindle, but you could hang a snow plow on one, and not have any problems. Considering the fact that the Bronco is running around with the F-150 version (with the dreaded Top-Hat spindles no less) for a year now with no issues, I don't think the question is really one of sturdiness for normal operation, but rather the need to simplify and reduce moving parts. The BIG benefit of IFS is never having any issues with bump steer. Of course if your D60 springs are heavy enough that it rides like a tank, with nary any deflection in them, your not going to have bump steer anyway. I've ridden in IDI's with solid front axles, and others with IFS, and for ride quality I'll take the IFS any day. Like anything else, if it is properly maintained and kept like new, it will perform very well. However, I doubt many IFS axles running around out there have bushings and joints that are "like new".

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've ridden in IDI's with solid front axles, and others with IFS, and for ride quality I'll take the IFS any day.

Wouldn't trade one D60 ride or otherwise for 20 perfect IFS axles. There is no comparison in the ride quality on my truck.

Like anything else, if it is properly maintained and kept like new, it will perform very well. However, I doubt many IFS axles running around out there have bushings and joints that are "like new".

But therein lies the problem as I see it. The reason I went diesel was to get away from constant maintenence. I have moved in that direction after fixing most of Ford's poor design issues. For how long, not sure, the metal the pedal bracket is made of is a joke...but that is another story. To me, I want a truck I can work and not have to fix constantly. The D60, by it's very nature has less moving parts and such and therefore requires less maintenence and I have no bump steer whatsoever.

I guess what it all boils down to is this, if one were to perform maintence as suggested on a Mercedes, it would NEVER wear out. Every part would be replaced at some point or another, but you would not wear it out. Of course, for the cost of this maintenence, you could probably buy 3 or 4 new Mercedes. Personally, I don't own a truck for a show vehicle, I own it to work, that being said, I would bet I maintain my vehicle as well as anyone, yet I won't sign up for the Mercedes maintence plan...

whitestroker

Reaction score
I know i need the bar that prevents the truck and axel from going oppisite directions. But the axel I bought from metrojd;Sweet :hail has a torsion bar also,do i need this if so where do i find the rod that attach it to the frame.
thanks cory

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tracking Bar

I know i need the bar that prevents the truck and axel from going oppisite directions. But the axel I bought from metrojd;Sweet :hail has a torsion bar also,do i need this if so where do i find the rod that attach it to the frame.
thanks cory

Cory,
The bar comming off the rear end near the spring perch is the tracking bar the other end has a bracket with 3 holes in it.
That bolts th the crossmember.
That keeps the rear end from dancing from side to side.
John

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
thanks cory
Glad to see you found your way out of down town Pittsburgh

next time buy a better map:rotflmao

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I see where the torsion bar thought came from. The F150 has coil springs with the IFS(I ndependant F ront S uspension). The F250 has leaf springs with the IFS. The F350 has leaf springs with a mono beam(solid) axle.
I was going with the Idea the donor truck was a 350, thus mono beam with leafs and panhard rod.
Since the 150 has coils it needs something to keep the axle from moving front to back, chevy owners often mistake this "locater bar" for a torsion bar as it is in the same basic location as the chevy trosion bar. The IFS eliminats the need for a panhard rod but needs the locator bar when used with coils.
On 250s the leaf springs act as a locator bar and the IFS eliminats the panhard rod.
On 350s the mono beam needs a side to side locator because of the large rubber bushings in the spring eyes and shackels. If the panhard rod bushings are worn and you have certain alignment and/or ballance issues the truck can shake very violently at 35 and/or 65mph.
Does this clear up my statement?
Clint

whitestroker

Reaction score
Cory,
The bar comming off the rear end near the spring perch is the tracking bar the other end has a bracket with 3 holes in it.
That bolts th the crossmember.
That keeps the rear end from dancing from side to side.
John[/QUOT
O.k. the thing that i am calling the torsion bar goes from side to side of the rear end and attaches to the frame via threaded rods w/ bushings on the other.
thks cory

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I believe you are talking about an anti sway bar.

The bar I am talking about is on the front axle, we call it a track bar.