Solid front axle conversoin?

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a friend with an 84 F350 crew-cab that he's parting out. It has a 460 on it, which is toast. Does anyone know what axles this would have? Would it be worth it to swap out the 1-ton axles and springs with my truck? Anybody know if this is a ball-joint or kingpin front axle, and which one is better?

If I do this, are there any extra parts I need, and any modifications to be done to my truck?

Just contemplating some options before he sells these parts.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Rear ends

I dont think they started the ball joint Fronts untill early mid 90,s
The king pin is much stronger.
Just jook & see if it has ball joints or not.
To swap an Independant to a solid is easy.
What rear do you have in your truck now?
There is a tag on the cover it will have the Ratio on it.
You have to match thr ratios Front to Rear.
Good Luck
John

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my 88 has ball-joints, and my 87 did too, just didn't know how far back those went. If kingpins are stronger, then that sounds like the way to go.

I'm planning on swapping both axles, front and rear, springs too. Doesn't the F350 have a Dana in the rear? I've currently got the Sterling 10.25 rear.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An '84 F-350 should have the Dana 50 TTB front axle. They started using the Dana 60 solid axle in F-350's in '85. The rear end should be a Dana; either a Dana 61 or a Dana 70 (more likely the 70).

Unless you have a Dana 44 TTB in your truck, I don't think there's any reason to swap to the Dana 50...even if you do have a Dana 44, it's probably not worth it. I don't know if it would be worthwhile to swap springs or not, to be honest with you.

Just my thoughts on the matter...good luck!

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was told it had a solid front axle, guess I'll have to check to make sure, guess it's possbile it's an 85. I've got a Dana 50 now, and even if I had the 44, I'd only swap to a solid axle. Is swapping to a solid front axle even beneficial, or should I just stick with the TTB setup?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
IIRC, which I often don't, if it was a cab and chassis truck from 84, it may well have a D60 as well. When looking for spring hangers and such for my 85 F350 axle swap to my 87 F250, I believe we found that to be the case. I have to agree though on the swap from a D44 to a D50. I wouldn't go to the trouble for a TTB axle, ESPECIALLY after putting a D60 in mine, I love it and would never go back!!! My truck drives, tracks and handles much better than before.

The front springs on the F350 will give you a little more clearance in most cases as well. They are positive arch, versus flat or negative arch on the F250, I would say you could plan on an inch or so. I used add-a-leafs on mine and gained about 3. Take a look at the rear springs as well. My donor had 2 1/4 inch springs versus the 87's 3 inch wide. The donor had about 11 leafs (again IIRC) while the 87 had like 4. I switched the whole works, but put two new stacks in the rear. Also keep in mind, the cab and chassis trucks have a narrower frame in the rear (34 inch OD, while the non-cab and chassis is like 37 1/2) and to use the rear end, you will have to do as I did and relocate the spring perches, not something for the faint of heart! My 85 was a cab and chassis dually, not sure if they made a cab and chassis, without dual rear wheels or not.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, I'll have to go check it all out with a taper measure and see what fits.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my 88 has ball-joints, and my 87 did too, just didn't know how far back those went. If kingpins are stronger, then that sounds like the way to go.

I'm planning on swapping both axles, front and rear, springs too. Doesn't the F350 have a Dana in the rear? I've currently got the Sterling 10.25 rear.

The F250 and F150 TTB axles are all ball joint in this era of truck. The Dana 60 however remained a king pin design up through the mid 90's. The 91 F350 I got my D60 from is a king pin axle. Ford didn't start using the D60 in the F350 until '85. If you find a donor F350 with a D60, get all you can. The steering parts (tie rods and what not), spring plates, shock mounts (not necessary), and the front drive shaft and front T-case yoke. If you don't/can't get the drive shaft and T-case yoke, you will have issues with the drive shaft, especially if the truck is lifted.

I used the stock F250 shaft with an F350 tranny crossmember. This was all I needed to get the clearence required b/t the shaft and the crossmember. Plus, it was much easier and faster that changing the T-case yokes.

Pics in my webshots gallery.

Heath

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is swapping to a solid front axle even beneficial, or should I just stick with the TTB setup?

Well, you'd have to figure out why you want to swap. It's a lot of work, but the main reason that I can think of is because with the ttb, the wheel alignment is never accurate. It is only accurate when the truck is sitting perfectly still, the rest of the time, it is in constant flux and will eat tires like mad.

Check out the explanation on Swamp Donkey's page ..click here..

Some of us have welded our D50's into a solid unit...just another option...

Zigg :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don, how hard is the welding option? I think I speak for some others if I say that we would find it somewhat interesting if you did a writeup on it. I do not weld but I have a couple of friends who are excellent welders. Like others the drunkomatic steering and lack of perfect alignment is one of the things I like least about my F250.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you'd have to figure out why you want to swap. It's a lot of work, but the main reason that I can think of is because with the ttb, the wheel alignment is never accurate. It is only accurate when the truck is sitting perfectly still, the rest of the time, it is in constant flux and will eat tires like mad.

Check out the explanation on Swamp Donkey's page ..click here..

Some of us have welded our D50's into a solid unit...just another option...

Zigg :)

Well, that's part of the reason I'm considering the swap. My truck's TTB setup is quite sloppy with worn out springs, deteriorated bushings, and worn tie-rod ends, which makes steering less than perfect. My Bronco has the TTB with 170k on it, and it has always tracked perfectly and has never eaten tires, and I've never had any complaints about it. I figured if I have the donor truck sitting here, the swap would be fairly easy and an upgrade at the same time. With all the money needed to rebuild the front end, I could probably do the swap and not have to worry about it for a long time. If I don't do the swap, I'd probably at least swap the springs provided they fit to gain the extra lift.

I'm going to try and look at it today and take some measurements. Thanks for all the advice, I'll write an update on what I see and decide to do.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so to continue discussion about front ends, my 84 250 most likely has a 44 under it?

my ttb has never eaten tires, i was rotatating every 10k and it wasnt even wearing the tires abnormally, it also handled and tracked perfectly, i loved the ride quality and the steering capabilities. the truck was actually quite fun driving on a smooth back road. you can just point her where she wanted to go

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so to continue discussion about front ends, my 84 250 most likely has a 44 under it?

my ttb has never eaten tires, i was rotatating every 10k and it wasnt even wearing the tires abnormally, it also handled and tracked perfectly, i loved the ride quality and the steering capabilities. the truck was actually quite fun driving on a smooth back road. you can just point her where she wanted to go

Yes, Dana 44 TTB. I will have to say that your rig would be an exception to the common experience. I've only driven older Fords. Every TTB 4x4 I've had has been one head ache after the other. The ball joints don't last and they are a PITA to replace. The bushing wear out, the allignment never holds for long, and the TTB set up wonders all other the place once these parts start to wear out. You're lucky, I've had only problems with the TTB. The ride quality if the solid 60 is no worse than the TTB, at least in my experience. The 60 in my opinion (you know what they say about opinions) is a better all around axle.

Heath