So where's the short? Or is it even a short...

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After fighting with some no power issues ive noticed that my factory temp gauge goes up when I use the heater, power windows, headlights or anythingbelse that draws a good bit of power, what would be causing this?

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like your dash is losing power. Check the grounding and input power if good then check the cluster voltage regulator output

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its in the middle of the cluster above speedometer . Yours should be a 6v output. Sorry I don't have a picture.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he is working on that 1992 f250, then he doesn't have a instrument voltage regulator. They stopped using that system starting in 1987, except the vans which was brought up in a recent post. 1986 down trucks use the instrument voltage regulator. That is also why the fuel sending units won't interchange from 86-dwn and 87-up trucks.

To the original poster; Has any engine work been done lately? There is a ground wire that goes from the back of the engine to the firewall. That is often forgotten and not re-attached if the engine has been swapped or the heads have been taken off. The cab needs a ground, that is usually one of the few spots that it gets a ground, since the body mounts are rubber.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually did just swap in my engine from the old red truck in my picture to this 1992 (the ol 88 was getting to rusty for my limited knowledge to fix) we may have missed that ground cable, ill have to check, it was cold and we were in a hurry when we did the swap