So what did you do with your truck today?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend I was hanging with my 5 year old and was noticing how the primer-ed areas of the truck's body was starting to surface rust. So seeing that my truck was wearing a "Coat of Many Colors" and the weather was nice enough to wear only T-shirts, I decided to take that coat off and just give it one color. So off to the store we went, and came back with 5 or so cans of Rustoleum primer rust-neutralizer/paint in flat black. My little guy kept going for a nice shiny blue, but I had to keep talking to him about blending in to the woods when we went hunting. That convinced him, but he was determined to get this camo shade of flat gray primer/paint for somewhere on the truck. I conceded when I realized I could always paint the rear bumper after fixing the dents and rust spots on it, and maybe clean up the white steel wheels that could use a painting. They are a little rusty, and I think the flat colored theme will work well while I am working through the mechanical and electrical gremlins that pop up after I fix one. Besides, I feel badly that I got rid of the CUCV M1009 Blazer because it was all rusted out and he liked that Blazer so much. And this dull paint job actually looks ok from a distance (I had all my nieces and nephews help my boy paint the body black, and there were a fair amount of runs and nothing covered up so there is some overspray).

But at least the body is all covered up, and no more faded blue body with brown primer-ed areas and replaced panels/repaired panels. And most of all, there is no more rust poking through the primer. And when the sun isn't shining extremely brightly, the afternoon paint job looks ok. Oh, I'll get some turpentine and clean off the glass and chrome, and I will even make sure I get some of that wide tape and go over the edges to make sure the truck is covered, may even get the rust removal wheels off and grind the rims clean before I paint the wheels and possibly the bumper. And maybe, just maybe, I will be thinking of touching up the aluminum cap or even painting it a dull color since it is bright white right now. I think that a flat gray may look decent once I cover all the screws with silicone.

Oh, and I argued and fought a nasty fight with the rear most u-joint. The problem was that someone kinda messed up the vise which made finding parallel planes difficult to shim up to press out and in the caps on the U-Joints. And I went with a Precision one from O'Reillys, which could be greased. For me it's always worth the extra to get the best I can. When it's not financially possible, I find nothing wrong with going a little cheaper, but I'd rather get the best possible. Anyway... That was last week, and this weekend.

Today I did away with some dash issues. The lights for the bright headlight indicator, and for the turn signals weren't and haven't been working for quite a while. What I found were some bulbs and holders needed cleaning and greasing. I have yet to grease, but they are cleaned and working.

Next stop - a set of mirrors that not only match but also provide some good vision around the truck. Eventually I want to go with highway mirrors, but I can't swing the cost right now, so I have a set from an old truck which are better than those swing aways. I also want to mount a receiver hitch, complete the transition to manual switches on the dash to bypass the switch and confuse anyone who wants to borrow the truck without asking, among other things like replacing the rear fuel tank and repairing the TSV.

Plus I really need to add my build thread to this forum.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I'm in trouble with my little boy for not having a CB installed in the truck yet. I won't pull it out of any of my other vehicles, to me they stay where I mount them and I never know which one I will need at any given time. So, even though I would LOVE to try a Galaxy right now, it'll be either a Uniden or Cobra since I need to redo my exhaust because the "Y" pipe leaks and the rest of the system is straight pipe. It's kinda loud, and with the way the mounties are pulling over diesels I want to fit in as much as possible while still not selling out. That and I really need to get the AC system installed and working, that black doesn't help with heat control very well. Imagine that.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Pulled rear tank. Found pinholes. Tapped with hammer, found soft spot.
You must be registered for see images

I see lmc has a 38 gal tank but I don't want to spend 200 bucks on it. Is there a junkyard swap for a bigger tank?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to doing an oil change. It was 92 degrees out today and I'm glad I didn't have to be out there for any longer. Then I went to go fill up the tank and managed to spill fuel everywhere because the pump didn't click off. :idiot:

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I changed my return lines, put the proper sized bolts in for the track bar bracket, fixed the drivers side lift motor that the little plastic things were broken so the window wouldn't roll up, fixed the power locks by finding the wire on the rear passengers door that were shorting out, removed velcro goo that was on the dash from a PO, and swapped the last missing piece of faus wood trim on the lower dash that I scored from a salvage yard.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Is there a junkyard swap for a bigger tank?"

It's been years,but, I swapped an
E350 tank in the rear and added an extra 10 gal. All you need is the matching straps.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally installed some new tires. Toyo MT 285/75/16 on some stock PS rims. The BFG's were starting to look a little bare. The first test drive will be down to the Machine Gun Shoot at the Albany gun range today.

Now I just need to find the rear center caps at a reasonable price. Hubcaps has them, for $50 EACH!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave the caps in the garage, or you will lose them frequently. count them on the road sometime.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Jrad the Alcoa's and Toyos is a great combination. Do they rub on the leafs? My 315's did

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally installed some new tires. Toyo MT 285/75/16 on some stock PS rims. The BFG's were starting to look a little bare. The first test drive will be down to the Machine Gun Shoot at the Albany gun range today.

Now I just need to find the rear center caps at a reasonable price. Hubcaps has them, for $50 EACH!

You must be registered for see images attach

Is there a lift on your truck? I saw some Alcoa caps on rockauto.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ, these seem to fit REAL tight right around the hub, so I may give them one chance, since they aren't full size caps.

Bookite, thanks! No rub that I have noticed. They aren't nearly as wide as the 12.5's I took off.

Genius, the truck has a 2" leveling lift up front. Nice catch on the caps at Rockauto, about half price.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I gave the truck to the wife today. We will see what she breaks when she gets home. Or I might drive her car to work and trade. We will see..