So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That your jack isnt just sinking into the earth is a testement to your Kansas soil. I'd have to have a board under it.
Despite the fact that it's a little wet and muddy on top, just a little bit underneath that the ground is pretty dry and hard. We've been in a drought for almost three years here.
I took Kansasidi's advice and bought these off of Amazon. I was buying them from Tirebuyer.com, but the prices went up $80 per tire. I bought these for $10 more per tire than I paid for the last ones from Tirebuyer so I saved $280 on the set by buying from Amazon. I'm not a big fan of buying from Amazon, but for that much difference, I had no problems buying from them. All four of the tires were less than 6 months old too.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite the fact that it's a little wet and muddy on top, just a little bit underneath that the ground is pretty dry and hard. We've been in a drought for almost three years here.
I took Kansasidi's advice and bought these off of Amazon. I was buying them from Tirebuyer.com, but the prices went up $80 per tire. I bought these for $10 more per tire than I paid for the last ones from Tirebuyer so I saved $280 on the set by buying from Amazon. I'm not a big fan of buying from Amazon, but for that much difference, I had no problems buying from them. All four of the tires were less than 6 months old too.
I have actually never bought tires off Amazon, I don’t recall recommending it, but if my local tire shop wasn’t as good as it is, I suppose I would also use Amazon…

My local tire shop does charge a premium, however, for whatever reason they have more or less put me on priority, so they kinda just do mine as soon as I get there and delay anyone else… I think in part due to my dad’s business, which gives the tire shop far more business than anyone else…

I think from anyone else’s point of view, me getting priority treatment would be annoying… but from my perspective alone it doesn’t seem so bad… I didn’t ask them to do that, but idk if I will ask them to stop…

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That your jack isnt just sinking into the earth is a testement to your Kansas soil. I'd have to have a board under it. Nice tires!
In my part of Kansas, especially this time of year, you’d need a board here too…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have actually never bought tires off Amazon, I don’t recall recommending it, but if my local tire shop wasn’t as good as it is, I suppose I would also use Amazon…
I thought that you had mentioned it. Maybe I was wrong? I know that I saw someone on her mention it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that you had mentioned it. Maybe I was wrong? I know that I saw someone on her mention it.

Yeah someone did I think, but i don't remember who either...
If you have a junkyard near by called "Amazon" that's where I would get tires.

I hauled some scrap metal off a couple weeks ago and they had a nice pair of the 245s I like but my cash was committed to another thing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today was eventful. First I took my little black monster to his vet appointment so that he'll be singing soprano. After work, I put the 4th new tire on. I put on the good, used vacuum pump that I found on the engine. It works GREAT by the way. Then I topped off the oil so that I won't have to worry about that Saturday morning. I took off the passenger's side locking hub because it was letting grease seep out. I just took another one that I had saved and switched them out. Finally, I lowered the air pressure in the passenger's side front tire. I looked at the door sticker last night and it said 51PSI in the front tires, so I put 50 in the one I mounted today. I dropped the other one from 55PSI down to 50PSI so I should be good there. After I dot home, the lockout hub was still all shiny so I guess that the seal's in better shape than the one I took off.

Attachments

• 102_4474.JPG
    102_4474.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 102_4475.JPG
    102_4475.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 4

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bearing that is refered to, is the outer alxe bearings and those are in the two sizes. My f100 has a 9in with the big bearings and snaped a 28 spline one, so dug and found that a bronco had the right size one on the passenger side thats 31 spline. So called and talked with the pepole at this place to get two in the length I need, and also got a full spool to put in the 3rd member. Oh yea and the axle length is from that bearing plate to the end of the splines, length from plate out is determined by 10 or 11 in drum.

I pulled one of the shafts tonight. Interesting it was 28 spline. There was a number of generational changes in 71,72,73 for ford it seems like a toss up whether you got a 9” or a 9 3/8”. This site is a good resource for anyone interested: http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford09.htm

My rear end turned out to be:
28 spline
11 inch drum
Big bearing (3.15”)
28” shaft on drivers side

I’m going to pull the other side now, remove the 9” third member and do some measurements, I read on the carrier side of the housing it may not swap direct if the tube is too narrow and I want to measure. Then I’ll call Tom’s off-road.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled one of the shafts tonight. Interesting it was 28 spline. There was a number of generational changes in 71,72,73 for ford it seems like a toss up whether you got a 9” or a 9 3/8”. This site is a good resource for anyone interested: http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford09.htm

My rear end turned out to be:
28 spline
11 inch drum
Big bearing (3.15”)
28” shaft on drivers side

I’m going to pull the other side now, remove the 9” third member and do some measurements, I read on the carrier side of the housing it may not swap direct if the tube is too narrow and I want to measure. Then I’ll call Tom’s off-road.

Im not sure that is the right place to mesure lenght, but that was where the guy I talked to wanted measurement. What would be the length be from end of spline to the inside of the axle flange and are they the same size for both sides?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure that is the right place to mesure lenght, but that was where the guy I talked to wanted measurement. What would be the length be from end of spline to the inside of the axle flange and are they the same size for both sides?
The passenger side is longer. Referencing how they measure, passenger is 30.5”. Spline ends to inner axle flanges is circa 29” and 32”

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hacked89 , Im trying to recall how I came about picking these axles out. What Im getting dusting off the cow webs, it is that the 9in durm sizes makes things squirly with the two bearings. I have the narrow 2in wide 11in drums on the rear and not the 3in ones, think got ones for with a 10 in drum.

You must be registered for see images

The marking for the axle part number surved for a photo shoot, and this is the I got for mine. I have the recite somewhere but would have to did for it.

That lead back to this and what leads me to that concussion, I have the same one on both sides.

9in axle shaft

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@hacked89 , Im trying to recall how I came about picking these axles out. What Im getting dusting off the cow webs, it is that the 9in durm sizes makes things squirly with the two bearings. I have the narrow 2in wide 11in drums on the rear and not the 3in ones, think got ones for with a 10 in drum.

The marking for the axle part number surved for a photo shoot, and this is the I got for mine. I have the recite somewhere but would have to did for it.

That lead back to this and what leads me to that concussion, I have the same one on both sides.

9in axle shaft
You must be registered for see images attach

Yep and I have 3” drum

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the longer one might be found on a 1974-86 f150 or e150

As for the sorter one, I come up with maybe one off a 1966-75 bronco but durm with is less. So the alxe flage to retainer flange offset may be wrong, rear shoes are 10X2.56 or 11x1.75. You can call toms and get more info on the lengths and offset of the one off this vehicle.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I made a 5 hour drive to get a parts truck. It wouldn't have taken that long, except that he lived about 20 miles into the sand hills in Nebraska. At least 18 of those miles weren't paved so the road was rough to say the least. I drove up there at a max of 50 MPH on the sand road and that was really too fast. With the load on the trailer, I kept it down 35-40 MPH. There was several times that I was down to about 25MPH. The return trip took about 5 1/2 hours which wasn't too bad considering everything.
Now, without farther ado, I introduce Scrappy. She's a 1991 F250 that had a ZF5. There's not a lot left, but there's still enough parts to make the drive worth it. The 7.3 turns about 1/4 turn so it's not locked up. I told the guy, worst case is a broken rod. Best case is that some water got into a cylinder and made rust. If the worst happens, I still have a short block that needs heads sitting in my garage.

Attachments

• 102_4476.JPG
    102_4476.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 102_4477.JPG
    102_4477.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 102_4481.JPG
    102_4481.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 102_4482.JPG
    102_4482.JPG