So what did you do with your truck today?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about running one of those. Still haven't made up my mind. Curious how well they would hold up to road salt spray over the winters here.
For some reason I was thinking you guys were going to mount that in the cab, not under the truck where you have to pull to the side of the road to switch tanks.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason I was thinking you guys were going to mount that in the cab, not under the truck where you have to pull to the side of the road to switch tanks.
No, I’d have the valve switch handle up in the cab, and the valve itself just underneath. If I can.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be nice but I'm not sure I'd want the extra hole in the cab. I have seen them done that way though.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I’d have the valve switch handle up in the cab, and the valve itself just underneath. If I can.
Back in the 70`s I remember some Ford PU`s with the valve just below the seat coming through the floor as you open the door.
Might have been on the camper Specials.

Goat

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old girl got a replacement heart but not fully set in place, I was frozzen by this point and was fighting to get it this far. It almost lined up with treaded rods but need to figgit with it some to get it to fall in the rest of the way.

You must be registered for see images

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got to go pick up my now highest dollar cat ever from the vet's and bring her home. Anyone who's ever rode 20 miles down the road with a cat in their vehicle knows why I wore my earmuffs, legal or not.

Try a ride from ga to mo with two half siamese kittens, that were free from my grandma.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70`s I remember some Ford PU`s with the valve just below the seat coming through the floor as you open the door.

Goat
I have seen several 67-72 camper specials with them mounted there.

James

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brown truck brought the new slip yoke, but the new Spicer 1350 U-joint is, well, somewhere (typical USPS tracking) so I went back to O'Reilly and bought another "Precision" 232 joint. After the usual struggle keeping all the needle bearings in place while pressing in the caps, I finally got the shaft together. Then it was simple to put it in the truck and grease it.
I don't like the look of the seating of one rear snap ring either (remember the first time the driveshaft came off, it was at the rear joint so that hit the ground). Will keep an eye on it with some test drives - but if the ear on the driveshaft yoke is damaged, that needs a shop to remove and reinstall a new yoke. I'm tired of messing with it, any further problems and I'll take it to the local driveline shop!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

Goat
Our 73 F-250 had that setup it was in the angled part below the drivers seat. You could reach down between the seat and door and switch tanks. I’m not sure what they did for the gauge.

ihc1470

Reaction score
Think it was a toggle switch. I am on the road but can look when I get home as have one sitting in the drive with that system.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driveshaft felt OK last night for a mile on our (bad) dirt roads. Today I took it out on the highway and as soon as I got to 25 mph I felt a vibration I didn't like (and didn't want a repeat of U-joints and yokes forcibly divorcing). I took the shaft back off and ran it over to Driveline Services.
They just called and said "it's bent just about every way a shaft can be bent"... two weld yokes, piece of tubing, reusing my new U-joints and slip yoke, labor, taxes... $314 :shocked: It's gone up a bit since the last time I had a shaft made!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online