So what did you do with your truck today?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I've been daily driving my truck while my car is getting service done, this morning heard a loud bang below the drivers floor board. Crawled under it after I got to work, looks like a rock or something flung up is all, nothing crazy.
While I was under there, I took a peek at the exhaust. So far my glued on crossover pipe and shoddy down pipe aren't leaking. But then there's this bad boy. I hate these slip joints. Eventually I'll have to get that mod done to v band clamp it.

Attachments

• 20230316_065207.jpg
    20230316_065207.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 23

TygreII

Reaction score
Lost a rear wheel yesterday. My beast has been making noises the past few days. I thought it was in the front end. I forgot the locks on on the front wheels after a snow and was gong to look at it yesterday evening when I got home. Imagine my surprise when my rear suddenly drops and a tire passes me on the right side.

All the lugs exept one sheered off.
You must be registered for see images attach

The drum is wore flat in a spot. Looks like I got some work ahead of me.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Lost a rear wheel yesterday. My beast has been making noises the past few days. I thought it was in the front end. I forgot the locks on on the front wheels after a snow and was gong to look at it yesterday evening when I got home. Imagine my surprise when my rear suddenly drops and a tire passes me on the right side.

All the lugs exept one sheered off.

The drum is wore flat in a spot. Looks like I got some work ahead of me.
Watch that broken leaf, have seen those walk out and ruin a tire.

TygreII

Reaction score
Ya I got a pair of new springs ready to put in. I just got to figure out how to calculate the u bolts. I'm replacing the 5 leaf with 6. I got the 6's at a better deal. Right now I'm not putting any weight on him.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New shoes 235/85/16 venom X/T, next is the front main seal
Those Venoms are pretty sweet. I drive for FedEx and deliver a good deal of them. I think their "look" is a mock up of the BF Goodwrench Radial A/T. BF Goodwrench makes the best looking tire ever! But it's hard to beat the price of the Venom that copy's the look of the BFG. Great looking truck, man!

Edit: I just noticed there's the BFGs in the bed of the truck, LoL!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I renewed the registration for Tank today. Went to fire him up and no go. Put the battery charger on for now.

I'm pretty sure it's just the sitting and a few too many bad glow plugs. It caught and I let off the key too soon, should have kept it spinning.

I'll get the batteries charged up and plug it in for a while and I'm sure it will fire then.

Picked up a set of lightly used reman heads yesterday. They'll be going on with the 910 springs when I stud it

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got tired of the "will it start with the key or am I going to have to roll to flat ground somewhere so I can just the solenoid" !

I have been chasing this issue for over a year and this is the first time I have actually had it still present when I got it in the shop to figure it out. Somewhere in the starter solenoid wire is a short to ground but I couldn't find it, so I ran a new wire.

This isn't the fix I wanted but the issue usually only happened when you really needed it to start with the key, like in a really busy gas station parking lot with sloped parking.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got tired of the "will it start with the key or am I going to have to roll to flat ground somewhere so I can just the solenoid" !

I have been chasing this issue for over a year and this is the first time I have actually had it still present when I got it in the shop to figure it out. Somewhere in the starter solenoid wire is a short to ground but I couldn't find it, so I ran a new wire.

This isn't the fix I wanted but the issue usually only happened when you really needed it to start with the key, like in a really busy gas station parking lot with sloped parking.

James
Nothing like chasing a wire! I got a wire on my tow truck I have to chase one day......but not today...... tomorrow is bleak.....next week is probably out of the question too, but one day.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing like chasing a wire! I got a wire on my tow truck I have to chase one day......but not today...... tomorrow is bleak.....next week is probably out of the question too, but one day.
Sad part is I'm pretty sure I need to make this same repair on my 84 f150. It has the same intermittent issue. It still has an auto at the moment so getting out and jumping the solenoid is as big of a pain on it.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad part is I'm pretty sure I need to make this same repair on my 84 f150. It has the same intermittent issue. It still has an auto at the moment so getting out and jumping the solenoid is as big of a pain on it.

James
It could be the "steering lock actuator", is comprised. It's a cast aluminum piece that the rod that goes down to the actual ignition switch is attached to. If it's worn just right it'll cause a wonkiness in the cranking up of old Fords. Looks like a cresent moon with a stick stuck in it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the "steering lock actuator", is comprised. It's a cast aluminum piece that the rod that goes down to the actual ignition switch is attached to. If it's worn just right it'll cause a wonkiness in the cranking up of old Fords. Looks like a cresent moon with a stick stuck in it.
I just replaced it and the ignition switch. It all functions correctly the power just doesn't always make it to the starter. That did just make me think of something though . With that one being auto, I haven't looked at the neutral safety switch.

When I was working on the idi last night I tried jumping from hot to starter solenoid wire under the dash with the switch unplugged. It was a dead short. This was the reason for the entirely new wire.

I hate chasing wiring!!!

James

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t break down, but something has gone very very wrong.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed sounds chuffy like intake valve not closed. It’s hard to tell on videos though some other guys video that sounded like a chuff ended up being a dead injector which normally sounds more like a knock. Start with pulling the valve cover and run it with the cover off and look for suspicious activity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online