So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After cancelling my trip to Colorado, I decided that I should do something useful with the money that I had for vacation. I went and bought a log splitter from a friend. It's old, but it still works just fine. I need to fix the hydraulic fluid leaks and what I believe to be return lines need to be replaced. The tires need to be replaced and I'm going to repack the wheel bearings before I pull it down the road. The gas tank started leaking so I need to replace that too. When I got over to his house, he said that he had an old generator that I could have to use the gas tank for the splitter. He said that the engine ran, but it was only putting out a couple of volts. Since I have a generator, and the engine and generator are integrated, I'm probably just going to haul them off to scrap. I plan to use the generator frame and gas tank for the log splitter. I'll put some spacer blocks under the frame and bolt the whole thing to the back of the splitter. Sure it needs some work, but still not too bad for $450.

Attachments

• 102_3329.JPG
    102_3329.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 102_3330.JPG
    102_3330.JPG
    527.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 102_3331.JPG
    102_3331.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 102_3332.JPG
    102_3332.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 102_3333.JPG
    102_3333.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 12

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After cancelling my trip to Colorado, I decided that I should do something useful with the money that I had for vacation. I went and bought a log splitter from a friend. It's old, but it still works just fine. I need to fix the hydraulic fluid leaks and what I believe to be return lines need to be replaced. The tires need to be replaced and I'm going to repack the wheel bearings before I pull it down the road. The gas tank started leaking so I need to replace that too. When I got over to his house, he said that he had an old generator that I could have to use the gas tank for the splitter. He said that the engine ran, but it was only putting out a couple of volts. Since I have a generator, and the engine and generator are integrated, I'm probably just going to haul them off to scrap. I plan to use the generator frame and gas tank for the log splitter. I'll put some spacer blocks under the frame and bolt the whole thing to the back of the splitter. Sure it needs some work, but still not too bad for $450.
I actually posted a "want ad" on Craigslist for a log splitter that "might work" and someone actually responded! $300 and he brought it to me! That was a year ago, my two older sons were happy to see it and happier to see me get it running. I've never used it since I got it going, but my my 14 and 15 yr olds have put some hours on it. Congrats on the log splitter, it's kinda like when you finally get a tractor with a loader and you wonder........how did I ever get along without this......

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
All except for the White Snake. I'm a country guy and I didn't care much for White Snake even back in the 80's when I used to listen to rock music. The most ironic part is that I really don't think that the 80's were all that iconic and I don't really look back on them wistfully. I had WAY more fun in the 90's. I just like some of the products that came out in the 80's. If you like irony, here's a little bit more. The truck and all three of the three wheelers would have been 1985 models. The trailer was the odd one out. It's a 1978 bed on a 1979 frame.

Attachments

• 101_2152.JPG
    101_2152.JPG
    607.8 KB · Views: 5

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I was born in 81. But my brothers are 7 and 11 yrs older than me so they were who I looked to for inspiration. I did the "like whoa heavy metal" thing in the 90s, so that was really "my time" too. But for some reason I do have a fine collection of 80s memorabilia.....not to mention my wife drives KITT. But in the early 2000s that's when I had my run in with Jesus, and nowadays I'd rather do stuff for Him. But seeing the 3wheelers it made me think of my bow saw and how those things were "outlawed" in the 80s........ probably because people were listening to White Snake and doing dumb things with them.

And hey, the rust on your blue is beautiful! I really appreciate some good surface rust.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And hey, the rust on your blue is beautiful! I really appreciate some good surface rust.
I guess I missed this last night. That's a bed off of a 1986 F150. That's how it was when I bought it. The rest of the paint on that truck matched.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's hunting season now and I don't have enough freezer space so I drove to Home Depot and bought a new one this morning. Then I drove across the street to Wal-Mart where I had a "what the Hades did I just do?" moment at the register. It happens. Then I went home. I left at 7:00 AM and got home right at noon. By the time that I got home, brought stuff inside, unboxed and plugged in the freezer, and finished making lunch, it was 1:00. After that, my motivation level was VERY low, so I guess that was my big accomplishment for today. Just to feel more manly, I had to buy a few things other than appliances, clothes, food, and cat supplies.

Attachments

• 102_3335.JPG
    102_3335.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 102_3336.JPG
    102_3336.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 12

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the new calipers and rubber lines on the tow truck. When I put the driver wheel on and was spinning it, it was rubbing on the caliper's bracket. So I messed with it and messed with it and finally tried putting the chrome center cap on the hub and noticed that it didn't fit over the lip that's around the hub area causing the wheel not to seat. When I got the truck the PO had the chrome cap on the outside of the wheel under the lug nuts. That gave it the superhero look of having your undies on the outside of your pants, so I did away with the chrome caps leaving the hub dust cover exposed. I think I'd almost prefer black steel wheels with a bit of surface rust for a "mad max" look.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fought with the brakes on Diego today. I had bought slightly larger wheel cylinders from a 97 and of course they needed M8 bolts instead of 5/16. And.... They use 7/16-24 line nuts instead of 3/8-24 like the old ones??? Odd.

So we went to lunch and got some adapter fittings (because I had already made up the new lines) and new bolts. Got one side done and halfway through the other side an early thunderstorm popped up, yay. Waited about a half hour for the rain to stop and then I got the other side all together. Just have to adjust everything and put the new drum on.

Still have to run a new line front to back and replace the rubber hose. Luckily the one we never used on my father in law's truck is almost identical so I can use that and send the new one I just bought back.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fought with the brakes on Diego today. I had bought slightly larger wheel cylinders from a 97 and of course they needed M8 bolts instead of 5/16. And.... They use 7/16-24 line nuts instead of 3/8-24 like the old ones??? Odd.

So we went to lunch and got some adapter fittings (because I had already made up the new lines) and new bolts. Got one side done and halfway through the other side an early thunderstorm popped up, yay. Waited about a half hour for the rain to stop and then I got the other side all together. Just have to adjust everything and put the new drum on.

Still have to run a new line front to back and replace the rubber hose. Luckily the one we never used on my father in law's truck is almost identical so I can use that and send the new one I just bought back.
Glad someone else is fussing with brakes today!