So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today, I just drove to my garage to unload some things out of the bed.
The big deal was Thursday after noon, Friday, and Saturday. I had some other business close by, but I finally got to visit Thewespaul. It was very nice. I enjoyed it (even though I was extremely tired from having about 2 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours). The family land that he lives on was amazing to me. I'd LOVE to spend a couple of days walking around and looking at all of the old history there (I could be a little bit odd there). We found out that my timing was WAY too advanced. He reset it back into specs. MAN! I'd forgotten how quiet an IDI can run. That was great! It also revs quicker and will pull strong all the way until the governor starts to shut off the fuel. Since I had about 4 hours of sleep between when I woke up at 6 A.M., Thursday morning and 2 P.M. when I got home yesterday afternoon, I didn't bother to even try to figure fuel mileage, but I'm sure that it's better too.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dug my way back into the woods in a foot and a half of snow. Got stuck halfway in, reverse, forward, reverse, forward. Go like hell, fill the truck with wood and lots of weight. Glide my way home nice and smooth. Get it while you can, I've learned that lesson.
You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished installing the factory turbo, in 20F weather :) I got tired of trying to put the steel oil line on with excessively tight olives so I found enough pieces in the junk box and made a Teflon braided steel line! Also installed one of Justin (R&D)'s glow plug controller relocation brackets which looks good too, and a piece of flex pipe between the Banks downpipe and my 3" exhaust until I can get to the muffler shop to have a proper elbow made.
I'll wait until tomorrow (which will be warmer) to fire it up.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well It wasn't today but 2 weeks ago I sold my last IDI loaded it up onto a trailer and waved good bye. Now the new owner is putting it back together and driving it again.

the end of an era, stick around, hopefully we catch you in some future rallys!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shakedown run with the "new" turbo today. Fired it up, with air intake cutoff tool (a short piece of 1x6) in hand. Idled perfectly - except there was diesel dripping from the valley pan drain at an impressive rate. :eek: Didn't take me long to figure out the only thing back there I'd messed with was the return tee when I routed the inter-bank return line around the front of the turbo. Sure enough, there was a big hole where I'd torn it on the nipple while experimenting with location. Fixed that, no more diesel drip, and went for a ride.
It makes 3-4 psi when accelerating hard but I haven't even touched the pump screw yet. :Thumbs Up Might be a hair faster but my butt-dyno isn't calibrated.

Unfortunately I tapped the hole for the pyro in just the wrong place so the body gets in the way of installing the probe. Thought I had measured that correctly
-cuss
Anyhow I may just drop the crossover and wye this afternoon and relocate the hole. Or maybe just have the muffler shop put a bung in the top of the crossover pipe when I go there for the proper downpipe connection.

And it's still dripping a small amount of antifreeze off the back of the engine onto the crossover from somewhere. The left front freeze plug is suspect but I sure hope it's not my new head gaskets - haven't even put the boost to them yet! Perhaps they should be retorqued.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, me too! :) I wanted to install the pyro probe before I mess with the fuel screw. So, rather than remove the wye (studs still in manifold), I just dropped the crossover and drilled/tapped another 1/8" NPT hole from underneath. Unfortunately my Chinese-crap pyro doesn't work (see the "cheap pyrometer" thread). Seems to be the probe, not the gauge, but I'll do a bit more testing tomorrow.

I am really tired of chasing leaks on this beast... :frustrate

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the hose connection from your thermostat housing is leaking, it will drip down and follow the head/block joint all the way to the back of the engine. At a first glance it will look like the head gasket itself is dripping from the outside edge (because technically it is). Gave me a real scare when it started doing this a few weeks after the rebuild. Now my truck seems to start dribbling once every few years just to see if I'm still paying attention.LOL

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shakedown run with the "new" turbo today. Fired it up, with air intake cutoff tool (a short piece of 1x6) in hand. Idled perfectly - except there was diesel dripping from the valley pan drain at an impressive rate. :eek: Didn't take me long to figure out the only thing back there I'd messed with was the return tee when I routed the inter-bank return line around the front of the turbo. Sure enough, there was a big hole where I'd torn it on the nipple while experimenting with location. Fixed that, no more diesel drip, and went for a ride.
It makes 3-4 psi when accelerating hard but I haven't even touched the pump screw yet. :Thumbs Up Might be a hair faster but my butt-dyno isn't calibrated.

Unfortunately I tapped the hole for the pyro in just the wrong place so the body gets in the way of installing the probe. Thought I had measured that correctly
-cuss
Anyhow I may just drop the crossover and wye this afternoon and relocate the hole. Or maybe just have the muffler shop put a bung in the top of the crossover pipe when I go there for the proper downpipe connection.

And it's still dripping a small amount of antifreeze off the back of the engine onto the crossover from somewhere. The left front freeze plug is suspect but I sure hope it's not my new head gaskets - haven't even put the boost to them yet! Perhaps they should be retorqued.
Make a build thread for this beast! Have all your questions in one area and we can all hash it out there, brother.
Oh, but you need more pictures. :D (please oh please)

As for the coolant leaks, invest in coolant dye and a UV flashlight/torch. The combo is awesome and will serve you well for many years. The dye is $14 for a tiny bottle or something stupid like that but worth every penny when you can narrow down EXACTLY what's leaking. It's a wonderful diagnostic tool I am sure you will enjoy! :Thumbs Up

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the hose connection from your thermostat housing is leaking, it will drip down and follow the head/block joint all the way to the back of the engine. At a first glance it will look like the head gasket itself is dripping from the outside edge (because technically it is). Gave me a real scare when it started doing this a few weeks after the rebuild. Now my truck seems to start dribbling once every few years just to see if I'm still paying attention.LOL
This!!!

Took me forever to figure it out. Only would drip after it got good and warm to build some pressure then it had to sit quite a while before it would show.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make a build thread for this beast! Have all your questions in one area and we can all hash it out there, brother.
Oh, but you need more pictures. :D (please oh please)

As for the coolant leaks, invest in coolant dye and a UV flashlight/torch. The combo is awesome and will serve you well for many years. The dye is $14 for a tiny bottle or something stupid like that but worth every penny when you can narrow down EXACTLY what's leaking. It's a wonderful diagnostic tool I am sure you will enjoy! :Thumbs Up

This too!! That’s how I found mine finally.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the hose connection from your thermostat housing is leaking, it will drip down and follow the head/block joint all the way to the back of the engine. At a first glance it will look like the head gasket itself

It's definitely wet somewhere up there, but does not look like it's coming from the hose-to-neck area. That means the t-stat housing gasket. Crapola. Not an impossible job but a fair bit of disassembling (alternator, fuel filter, brackets) to get to those two bolts!

What gripes me is that I paid the shop to do it when they put on the rebuilt cylinder heads a year ago. Anyway I will look VERY closely before going to the trouble to remove the stat housing.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove all the way to victoria, BC to pick up a couple Hino turbo diesel marine engines. The owner of a bayliner 3288 was repowering and so these had to go. They spec at 1025lbs each with marine gear installed. Just enough to fully level the truck.

I had to gear down a little more often over some of the hills but had no problem keeping up with traffic. the new lift pump I installed recently seems to have made a big difference. Who knows how long the old one was weak and I didn't realize it.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove all the way to victoria, BC to pick up a couple Hino turbo diesel marine engines. The owner of a bayliner 3288 was repowering and so these had to go. They spec at 1025lbs each with marine gear installed. Just enough to fully level the truck.

I had to gear down a little more often over some of the hills but had no problem keeping up with traffic. the new lift pump I installed recently seems to have made a big difference. Who knows how long the old one was weak and I didn't realize it.

What’s the plan for the motors??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online