So what did you do with your truck today?

Runningaford

Reaction score
Okay, took the 5'er out on a test run. The truck ran okay, but boost was still at 5psi; even at a 6% grade with a 13k trailer. I was about half way through the pass on I-17 heading towards Flagstaff, and the engine got a little warm; I had to pull over. I'm fairly sure it's my fan clutch; as the engine ran cool until down to around 25mph on a particularly steep portion of the climb when it got to hot ..... I pulled over, waited for it to cool, then since I was at an exit(crown king) any ways, I turned back around. I've got a fan clutch on it's way in the morning.

My pyro never got above 1000, and for the most part, even on the steeper grades rode around 900. I've read to keep it below 1050 to 1100(please correct me if I'm wrong). Regarding the turbo boost, I've checked the exhaust crossover pipe connections, the up pipe connections to the turbo, and see zero soot. I don't think I'm loosing any boost from exhaust leaks.

Does anyone have a good way to test for leaks on the intake side? I'm guessing that's where I'm loosing pressure. The turbo is all the way into the snail, but it's cockeyed just a hair; I figured the o-ring in the snail, along with the tight fit, that it's not leaking there.................. any ideas? I did increase the fuel around a flat, and quarter

The other thing I noted, is that when pulling that 13k trailer, starting from a stop in 1st, the truck would bounce as I eased the clutch out; all other gears were great, no problem upshifting, or downshifting. Any thoughts on that?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Okay, took the 5'er out on a test run. The truck ran okay, but boost was still at 5psi; even at a 6% grade with a 13k trailer. I was about half way through the pass on I-17 heading towards Flagstaff, and the engine got a little warm; I had to pull over. I'm fairly sure it's my fan clutch; as the engine ran cool until down to around 25mph on a particularly steep portion of the climb when it got to hot ..... I pulled over, waited for it to cool, then since I was at an exit(crown king) any ways, I turned back around. I've got a fan clutch on it's way in the morning.

My pyro never got above 1000, and for the most part, even on the steeper grades rode around 900. I've read to keep it below 1050 to 1100(please correct me if I'm wrong). Regarding the turbo boost, I've checked the exhaust crossover pipe connections, the up pipe connections to the turbo, and see zero soot. I don't think I'm loosing any boost from exhaust leaks.

Does anyone have a good way to test for leaks on the intake side? I'm guessing that's where I'm loosing pressure. The turbo is all the way into the snail, but it's cockeyed just a hair; I figured the o-ring in the snail, along with the tight fit, that it's not leaking there.................. any ideas? I did increase the fuel around a flat, and quarter

The other thing I noted, is that when pulling that 13k trailer, starting from a stop in 1st, the truck would bounce as I eased the clutch out; all other gears were great, no problem upshifting, or downshifting. Any thoughts on that?

1250 is when you'll start melting your Pistons and I wouldn't really worry about the bounceing mine does it empty in first it'll bounce real bad but if I start in second it just moves right along

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To All,

Bought 2 new Interstate 850CCA batteries for "my 1986 barn find", AKA "Big Ugly", as it's been nicknamed by my best buddy.
And found a tailgate trim panel to replace the broken reflector.
(We'll get it going/restored yet.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever you drive, drive a firestone. 6 new ones on chip truck..........it's gunna hurt to sit down for a month.:cry:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got the facett onboard of the 93' cleared the fsv' installed fuel filters in front of it.
Loading her up for a road trip to the coast then to a high mountain lake to go fishin!

zurhahn

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Added this sweet Waylon Jennings flying W. Other than that, yesterday I put a new brake booster in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
whatever you drive, drive a firestone. 6 new ones on chip truck..........it's gunna hurt to sit down for a month.:cry:

However, if you get the same kind of mileage I have been, you will by buying the 1/3 as often as the Michellins.......... So they are a bargain if you look at it that way.......

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RUNNINGAFORD, how is your thermostat? Just replaced mine with motorcraft, WOW what a difference!
You must be registered for see images attach

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Called about my moose pump. The guys at conestoga diesel injection were real helpful.now time to get the pump in and on the truck and hopefully I won't melt it down lol. It's maxed already and runnin like 65 constantly it gets hot on me.im addin like 3 gallons of water a week I don't have any leaks. Could it be my timing

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should stop driving something drinking 3 gallons of coolant a week.
You have heard of cavitation ( right)?!
Whats the oil look like?
Don't see adding fuel to the fire with more ip.
Just my 2 copper slugs.

zurhahn

Reaction score
Got it on amazon for about $15. Little more than I like to spend on a sticker but it's big and really nice quality. Should last

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online