so...i'm working on this7.3....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#5 injector has a bad copper gasket. filled the injector bore with carbon but the good thing was that the injector came out in one piece :thumbsup:
been fighting with the copper gasket for the last hour or so to extract it. I can use some suggestions. Cleaned most of the carbon out already, have dental picks and other assorted picks. ready to take a chisel and start turning it into mush.
anybody else been through this?

brians

Reaction score
Simple to extract...

1. Remove the engine
2. Remove the head
3. Turn head upside down
4. Knock copper gasket out
5. Put back head and engine back
6. -cuss

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Did you try heat? I've been through this, except I had the one where it came apart and resulted in a junk head :puke: Had three leakers, the others cleaned up ok. There is also a drill bit available called a forstner, intended for wood but a cheapy would get the job done cheaply on copper! Also, maybe a punch that will wedge into the copper and give you something to move around. Then tap the whole washer with a large flat punch.
Chisel would probably work too. Wroks good in cast iron too :shocked:
James

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe You can break it loose with a screw remover with the same size as the washer inner hole and pull it put, You can suck the excess carbon build up using a shop vacuum latter.

hope that helps, at least it helped Me every time I had to remove a frozen spark plug.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I've had good luck with those 1 gallon paint can opener tools that they give you for free at home depot. You know what I mean? They kinda look like a bottle opener on the handle side, but have a hook on the other. Allmost like they were made for this purpose.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have the seat cleaning tool if that will help. When do you need this truck back on the road? I hope not tomorrow.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hit it with penitrating oil,let it sit,Disconnect the Wires from the pump and jump the relay.Compression should fire it out.To get the carbon out(this might not be applicable in the Peoples ReplubliK Of Kalifornicate since guns are so NO NO),use a bore brush for a 12 gauge and some bore cleaner.Use a Plastic one if you can find it since I am not sure I would want to use a metal one and risk getting a brissle down in the cylinder.You could chuck it up in a drill and spin away.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I found a screwdriver that was just slightly larger than the hole in the middle of the blade. Tapped the screwdriver into the washer, then turned it and broke the washer loose, then it just came right out. Just need to find a screwdriver that is small enough to start into the hole, but big enough to wedge inside the washer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys-
thanks for the tips. I got it out. and then some:eek: Ez is right, cast iron got hurt. Icanfixall...i think I will look into borrowing your seat tool to smooth out some of the dings.LOL Seriously tho, its time for me to get one of those seat tools. I am seeing an increasing number of jobs where the injector holes are carboned up from copper gasket failures.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Sounds like to me the previous folks were not seating the injectors fully or reusing the old copper gaskets if your seeing a lot of carbon build up... Now I know that does nothing for your situation but maybe someone who reads this and is getting ready to change injectors will be armed with a litte more information.

BTW it's your avatar again.....

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have an old glow plug I drilled out and brazed an air fitting to-I use a valve in the air line to slow down thw air flow so I can clean the carbon out whith a low volume of air , it blows the junk in my face cookoo and keeps it out of the cylinder (remember to crank the engine to a position where both valves are closed) . Then I use what ever works to get the carbon out with out worrying about junk falling in the cylinder.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I remember something on the other site about carbon locking up a motor. Seems the carbon was cleaned out of several injector holes and it went down inside the cylinder. The motor locked up and would turn both ways but stop at the same point. Carbon disolver got things moving again but it was looking bad for a while. Bill has a really god idea about air pressure blowing out as you clean out carbon. My seat cleaning tool will dress up the cast iron but it seems like the cast iron shaving will fall into the precups. It probably wont hurt because its probably so fine it will just blow out while running. Cast iron against cast iron seems like it would be harmless but just thinking out loud here.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember something on the other site about carbon locking up a motor. Seems the carbon was cleaned out of several injector holes and it went down inside the cylinder. The motor locked up and would turn both ways but stop at the same point. Carbon disolver got things moving again but it was looking bad for a while. Bill has a really god idea about air pressure blowing out as you clean out carbon. My seat cleaning tool will dress up the cast iron but it seems like the cast iron shaving will fall into the precups. It probably wont hurt because its probably so fine it will just blow out while running. Cast iron against cast iron seems like it would be harmless but just thinking out loud here.
I was thinking on doing it like how I did chasing gasser spark plug holes with a tap....grease up the tap in the cutouts to catch the shavings:D

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
You could also redneck it even more.use a Compression tester adapter.They have a small quick connect on the top.If you can find a connector the same size or get a cheap tool sale gauge you could rig up a glow plug hole pressurizing system for this.