So how do you guys handle reluctant restraunts?

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chinee foo restraunt in town and they dont want me messin with nothin unless they can cancel thier service all together forever. Also i got a story from another owner that said that the service he uses will turn him into the epa if he can't tell them who is picking it up and show that the new provider has the appropriate licenced and containers. What gives? The small places that dont have dumpsters are cool with it though. I've been told i can "steal" all I want. but was wondering what laws were lookin at with that? All crazy stuff huh.

Also, how are you guys getting the stuff out of said dumpsters? Im sure I can pump the stuff out with a trash pump, but a quieter cheaper solution would be much better.

The good news is i have 5 suppliers givin up arround 4 gallons a week. Im diggin that, but would need too score more.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
don't make a fuss... keep with nice easy people.

also, it is generally illegal to take grease out of a dumpster.... often the dumpster, and what is in it is considered the waste oil company's property.

of course if they left out a few cubees, or you provided a 55gal drum that you empty on occasion, that is legal.

rotary pumps (hand powered) are nice, but tedious. I would like a vacuum pump, as that would be most ideal.

drew

rray32539

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bct said:
Also i got a story from another owner that said that the service he uses will turn him into the epa if he can't tell them who is picking it up and show that the new provider has the appropriate licenced and containers.

The EPA? HA! That hauler is feeding the guy a line of bull:number2 just to save his contract. It's none of company's business to be the environmental police. Anyway, waste grease is a STATE, not a federal matter to the best of my knowledge. WVO is not a hazardous material in the sense that it will blow up. Creating a health hazard, that's another story. That restaurant can terminate that hauler's contract and not have to tell him squat. But the restaurant may not want the hassle of bothering with you unless you make it worth his while.

sagebel

Reaction score
Don't bother withthem. When I first started, I took a gallon sample home and tested it each time they cleaned their fryers for three weeks. The samples were all very good (titration was a 2) so I put out a 55 gallon drum. After 2 months he canceled his service. The rendering Co. then told him that I could not legally haul that much oil without a licence and that I would probably only collect for a few months and be gone. That was 6 months ago. They (rendering Co.) basically tried to use scare tactics because they are losing customers quickly to those of us home brewers and those who run WVO. With me being in the military, I have been turned away from a couple places due to them being worried about what happens while on deployment or being transfered out of this area. I have someone to collect when I am on deployment and it is not very likely that I will be transfered out of the area.
Just keep looking or look into the laws and call their bluff.

Scott

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
only 4 gals a week? from 5 places? i get almost 20gal a week from one place? i've got one other place that will give me 10-15 every 10 or so days?

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not worry about hauling 55 gallons of WVO. The co. is getting made from losing buisness. The EPA is not going to mess with you. As long as the stuff is not getting dropped down the storm drain or in any water ways I would not worry about it. As long as the resturants are cool, they own the stuff. See ya

FireMarshal3311

Reaction score
Check with your local health department. They are the one's who enforce the restaurants and they will be the ones determining what happens to the wvo. The EPA couldn't give a rats **** about wvo. Get on the good side of the health department (they love people reusing this stuff! ;Sweet ) and if you have too, get the owners to call them to find out the real story.

Cory

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[Check with your local health department. They are the one's who enforce the restaurants and they will be the ones determining what happens to the wvo. The EPA couldn't give a rats **** about wvo. Get on the good side of the health department (they love people reusing this stuff! ) and if you have too, get the owners to call them to find out the real story.]

Waste cooking oil actually falls under the latest clean water act stuff. I don't think anybody will be fined for hauling or using it, but storing it in larger than 50 gallon containers requires secondary containment. I only know this because I had to work through this issue where I work (we store jp-8 and used cooking oil).

akoldnav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online