Smokey black truck UPDATE. Screwed up my Rally plans, but still had FUN.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
What a great bunch of folks! I had a blast getting to know the Oilburners I met on Fri/Sat. The kindness and helpfullness of this bunch is beyond description. I had a great time at the dyno shop. It was really nice how everyone lended a hand with my hurt 6.9. I also want to thank Mel again for the timing clinic. I have to tell you, if you do not already know, Mel really puts A LOT OF WORK into these Rallys. He really busted his rear at that timing clinic.

Sorry I had to leave the Rally early. It was not an easy decision. I was having an engine problem that was making my truck smoke even more than usual. Then it started losing power. Then it stalled out and would not restart without a jump. :dunno I really thought about tearing into it at the Rally but I decided to limp on home.

The ride home was not the most relaxing trip. I was getting this intermittent knock and using a gallon of oil every 50 miles. You should have seen how much smoke was rolling out of this thing. :eek:

I was not willing to shut the truck off for fear of being stranded. But I needed to figure out how much oil I had. :confused: So I guessed. :dunno So I was adding oil with it running, hoping I was not overfilling, praying it did not run away from too much oil or scatter from running dry.

It was a pleasure to meet each and every one of ya'll. See you next year. Next Rally I am bringing the Wife, kids and class A. ;Sweet

As far as what broke, I am thinking either an intake pushrod or rocker or a broke piston. I do not think it is related to burning wmo but we will see. I will post a cause of failure with pics.....

gsfloor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey dave,glad to hear you made it home i was looking for ya after we gave you a jump in the parking lot let us know what the problem was hopefully youll figure out pretty quick

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I think I know what happened. After the Ole' Black Diesel spent a night in the campground meeting the other beautiful, well maintained, even pampered IDIs, that truck became very upset and its spirit was crushed, temporarily. Upon learning the other drivers actually washed their trucks, and cared enough to replace things like worn balljoints and twisted bumpers, she just gave up on me. I think after receiving love and attention from so many caring IDI techs, she felt she needed to blow up, as a cry for help. Maybe she wants that hard chargin' rebuilt 7.3 in my garage, out of the F450, but I was planning on putting that in the CCSB 86' F350 4x4.

I thought about tearing into her at the campground, but I did not want to make an eyesore out of myself. Plus, I had a hard time getting her to start when fully warm, while getting a jump from another running diesel truck. I did not want to have to start it after it cooled off. I was thinking: make it back to Cleveland, or blow it up trying. I can get a tow no problem if near Cleveland, so every mile meant something. At the same time, I was really hoping not to destroy any parts. Fortunately, my motor is now a donor good for parts. Unfortunately, my motor is now a good donor for parts. :puke:

The only real money I spent on this 6.9 is in the head studs and IP. Both of those are going on my other 6.9. The other 6.9 is also out of a scrapper, an 86' F250.

I am still in good spirits. I had an adventure, made some friends, and made it back. Rock on. :rock:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
You should have tore into at the rally. With all the collective knowledge there you would have had it back together and better than ever in a couple hours :eek:

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Glad you made it back ok. We were lookin for ya. Too bad you didnt get that y-pipe. Oh well maybe next time. Good to meet you and we will see you again.

John

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Rally Pics

You must be registered for see images attach

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Smoke rattle and miss that bad, if you are not sucking it past the valve (which could be possible since I have not seen it), than you have a broken piston. Cant think of a cheap/other way to get that much oil into the cyl. Sorry to hear about the bad and wish I could help.

SWS

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Yep, smokes a little :rolleyes: I hated driving behind you on the way to the clinic :rotflmao. I didn't think of it but I should've got Ma to take a pic of that injector Corey took apart and the hole that was carbed shut, maybe also the injector that got the tip hammered twice the size it should've been :eek:.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know what happened. After the Ole' Black Diesel spent a night in the campground meeting the other beautiful, well maintained, even pampered IDIs, that truck became very upset and its spirit was crushed, temporarily. Upon learning the other drivers actually washed their trucks, and cared enough to replace things like worn balljoints and twisted bumpers, she just gave up on me. I think after receiving love and attention from so many caring IDI techs, she felt she needed to blow up, as a cry for help.

You are half correct. If your truck really did give up on you, it wouldn't have carried you home even through all that excruciating pain.

Thanks for all the photos by the way - deprived members of the IDI community like me survive of brief fixes like that:D