Smokey black truck UPDATE. Screwed up my Rally plans, but still had FUN.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Awesome. Im glad there is a silver lining to your dark cloud. Did the milage improve over the 6.9 or is that about the same? Is that on oil or on diesel?

SWS

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started a thread, "Trouble in an IDI Paradise." This black truck is doing exactly what the FIL's truck does, except Bobs is easy starting, and has no ill manners. Just a gallon in 50, and it belches like the pic.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
It took a long time but I got a chance to pull the heads off the 6.9 smoker.

The heads show no damage, just some soot build up in the precup passages.
You must be registered for see images attach

The block looks good, head gaskets were good and all the headstuds were tight still.

The pistons are pitted and were likely overheated and deformed because they rock back and forth in the bores an excessive amount. I can see a lot of the top ring, which is shiny and clean.

I am glad to see my block and heads are good. I have the head studs, new IP, new water pump, etc still so all I need to do to this is a valve job, bore it .020 over, get some new lower compression pistons, head gaskets, injectors and an oil pan, and this engine will be very nice.

I uploaded a video today about this engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1GttJASFMQ

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
sooo..the pistons shrunk? cookoo we tore apart a leaning tower of power in a '70's dodge van that overheated bad and most of the ring was exposed.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Glad you posted some "after" shots.

The vid is interesting. Not sure I have ever heard of piston shrink.

Looking at the comments on you-boob it looks like you have an internet stalker, too! Congrats!:rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well you did get those pistons hot to burn off so much of the bottom edge where the exhaust flows out of the head. When youremove the pistons check the rod bearing for wear on one side more than the other. That tells to the bore has been machined not square with the crank. Its either forwards or backwards of where it must be. High or low is not as important. Then look at the main bearings for wear. That will tell you if the main webs are cut square in the block.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Wow!! That thing got you home from the rally?:eek: I guess your underside piston coolers were putting oil right into the combustion chamber.LOL The rocking of the pistons within the bore is incredible given the thing still ran. Nice video Dave. I can't imagine who left the message on youtube.:rolleyes::rotflmao
Thank you Towcat, our site is definitely better without the drama.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I didn't know any better, I'd almost be tempted to think it was bored out and the wrong size pistons were put in. Granted, I've never seen anything like this before and I can't see much detail in the video.

Really look forward to what you find when the pistons get pulled.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Thank you for your input fellas. I will definitely check the mains and rods for uneven wear.

Now in the video I said "we all know pistons don't shrink". ;Really

It is likely a combination of factors, including:

Out of control, unmonitored EGT.

Bad rings allowing superheated gases past them, which heat erode the pistons.

Driving 90 mph all day on trips. :sly

Abrasive byproducts from burning WMO.

Profound whoopedness.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Glad you posted some "after" shots.

The vid is interesting. Not sure I have ever heard of piston shrink.

Looking at the comments on you-boob it looks like you have an internet stalker, too! Congrats!:rotflmao

such a classy fella that "gentlemen" is, isn't he? :rotflmao:rotflmao

thx for sharing the video TTDave. You've reminded me why I don't want to flog my truck like you did. :angel: