Smoke on decel

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I noticed today that I'm getting quite a bit of smoke (looks whitish blue) on decel. It goes away when I get back on the gas and at steady speeds. Is this a sign of leaking injector (s) ? What else would I look for that would cause smoke on decel and going down hill with no gas pedal being applied ?
Injectors are grey in color, don't know if they are original or not but they kinda look old.

Truck is an F250 7.3 - banks sidwinder turbo w/ 145K original miles

Thanks for any input.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If they're grey then they are the originals. Time for new ones, and a return line kit would be good too. Mine did the same thing (huge clouds when off the throttle going down hills) when I brought it home and it had a few leaking injectors and the return lines were leaking.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are grey, they are likely the factory oringinals. Blue smoke can be a bad injector or two, timing, or oil. But, in your case, it sould like you could have an injector issue. You could have them pop tested for opening pressure, spray pattern, or for leaking. Is the IP the oringinal as well? Replacing the IP and injectors, and getting it properly time, could really wake up the engine.;Sweet

Heath

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.... I'm not sure how you would tell if the IP is the original or not. I would speculate that it probably is the original. How could one tell ?? If I change the injectors, how hard is it to get the air out of the system ? Are the return lines the rubber lines that go in between each injector ? Sorry, still learning about these motors.

thanks again

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really is not a way to just eyeball the IP and know if it is original or not. But, if the injector are, there is a good change the IP is as well. The lines are rubber fuel lines. Bleeding is a PITA with the stock mechanical lift pump. That's one of the reasons I changed over to a Holley Red electric. Anyway, once you are done with the replacement of parts. Have someone crank the engine over while you open the schraider valve on the fuel filter head (it looks like a tire valve). Once you only get diesel and no air. You can stop bleeding the filter and leave that valve alone. Then have someone crank then engine while holding the throttle wide open.

ONLY CRANK FOR 20-30 SECONDS MAX! LET THE STARTER COOL FOR AT LEAST 2 MINUTES IN BETWEEN. Otherwise it is easy to damage or kill the starter and batteries. It will start eventually, but it take time to bleed out all the air.

Heath

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks Heath. Any thoughts on new Delphi Injectors (not reconditioned) ? Found a pretty good price on some. Also, what would be the best electric pump for the 7.3 and about what is the cost ? Where do you get the plate to cap off where the old IP used to be after you install the new electric pump ? Does the electric pump mount in the same place as the old IP or somewhere else ?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Heath. Any thoughts on new Delphi Injectors (not reconditioned) ? Found a pretty good price on some. Also, what would be the best electric pump for the 7.3 and about what is the cost ? Where do you get the plate to cap off where the old IP used to be after you install the new electric pump ? Does the electric pump mount in the same place as the old IP or somewhere else ?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

Mel (Agnem) and typ4 (Russ) can get you a new set of Delphi BB code injectors that have been pop tested for correct pressure and pattern before they ship them to you. I'd PM either one for the injectors.

I use a Holley Red pump and I got a BBC fuel pump block off plate at the local Autozone to fill the hole in the block where the old mechanical pump used to live. The IP is the Injection Pump..........different than the lift pump. The mechanical lift pump is what we are referring to.

It should be mounted close to the tanks (usually just in front of the fuel tank selector valve on the driver's frame rail) as these pumps like to push rather than pull fuel.

Search for electric fuel pumps.......... there will be literally pages upon pages of information.

Heath