SMF questions

turbo_joe

Reaction score
i just ordered a smf from southbend for my 91 f350, now i ve heard after putting theese in you get a lot of gear rattle from the trans.i Have been told to over fill the tranny with fluid. Any of you who have done it what type of oil and how much do you over fill it
thanks

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I just did mine. I filled the trans through the top till I could see fluid on top of the gears. may have puked a bit on the drive home as it warmed up, but I didnt notice it.

Make sure you have the right flywheel ordered. you need the xx 127. cant remember what the xx is but I know the last is 127. thats assuming you get an LUK flywheel. they messed mine up and I had to bring the clutch and spacer plate in when I returned it to verify I had the right one.

just a bit of advice so you dont have the same trouble.

punk

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't know if south bend offers their own (not a luk kit) but if they do buy the one from south bend save Yourself the grief.

Also, keep in mind that if You overfill the tranny it is a good idea to use light weight fluid/oil bc as soon as the temps outside get even cool the gears will not shift the same until the tranny warms up.

turbo_joe

Reaction score
well i got it installed, its a Valeo clutch, i over filled it, i dont hear any gears rattleing, but i do hear a little noise untill i put a little pressure on the clutch,i saw a lot of wear on my clutch fork, i think if i replace that it will go away. But then sometimes when i take off theres kind of a growling noise, any ideaswhat that could be???

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the gear noise from the non dampened flywheel. I used a Valeo, it had luk casting #s on it, 3 years no problems at all.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a luke in and have limited (6 months) experience but absolutely no complaints.
Same growl as you, I believe type4's answer is good.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I rode in Pontoonrob's truck with a SMF last night for the first time, and quite frankly, I don't know what all the whining is about unless you guys are all used to driving toyotas with that oh so sewing machine sound cookoo Actually that truck was quieter overall than mine ;Sweet
I was a bit apprehensive about installing one before, but not now.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the same groan. But I also hear a chirp and a squeek also most of the time. What could these sounds be? They usually subside when I press in the clutch. I have no idea what the sounds are!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
mine squeals just barely until i put a little pressure on the clutch too and it started it as soon as i installed the smf took it to the trans guy who did it(i didn't have time) and he said it was the slave cylinder shaking and rubbing along the fork

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Can't the growl when first engaged sometimes be the coupler between the trans and transfer case? If they or the splines on the shafts get worn I've understood they can make noise. :dunno

darwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have sachs heavy duty SMF conversion that someone did on mine and it is loud as hell and very annoying. I have been told it could be a throw out bearing? I am not sure I am going to bring it back and see what they say. I am also going to overfill it with tranny fluid and see what that does.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chirps and squeeks are a bad throw out bearing. Usually the former. If you had a lot of clutch fork wear, there is a good chance that your throw out bearing is going. That thing has to turn all the time, thanks to presure from the hydraulic clutch, regardless of if your foot is on the pedal or not. If your fork is worn, it's spinning both parts, instead of just the one. These surfaces should be greased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online