SMF and stock clutch

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I have my 7.3 almost fixed minus the recently completely blown oil cooler o-rings, I don't have a time crunch anymore for reliability before work starts. I am seriously considering assembling the 83 6.9 and having fun with it. Just because the block "might" crack and the press in cooling jets both make it a terrible candidate for a rebuild, why not let it live out it's natural life? Well under 100,000 miles it's still just a puppy. What's the worst that can happen?! Lol. Moving on. I was told by the previous owner the DMF was changed to a SMF with a regular stock clutch. Now I know I need to use the 6.9 flywheel anyway and I would put in a new clutch to start out. The stock clutch works fine for the pooch n/a 7.3, but what will a stock clutch do behind a bull moose, moose misters, typ4 cam, first gen non wastegate Banks, and possibly a much bigger turbo at a later date? I have 4.10 gears. I have no clue what stock clutches will hold.

Thanks everyone!

OI82

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
If it was me I would get a southbend clutch but stock I would think would be fine depending on what your doin with it. I would see what other people say on this one though

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
89f350 4x4 dump. 10ft mason dump body. Weighs a ridiculous 8,600lbs empty. Title says 14,000 gvwr, cab sticker says 11,000 gvwr. Dunno never ran into that before. Sticker is pretty faded it may say 14,000. I would not put more than 2 ton on honestly so I would say 13,000 lb on the truck, and pulling a tag-a-long trailer hauling a skid steer loader never pulling more than 10,000 TOPS and that would never happen simultaneously The 4700 dt466e handles the heavy stuff. Well, she tries to. I have the lowest power model 170hp.....for now. Hehe.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any info in the pulling section?
Southbend, luk seem to be the go to's.
There are some high end mentions as I have searched along here and there.
@towcat is one to ask.