Sluggish intermittent wiper control

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang, as I sit here and convalesce I daydream about projects to make my truck better! The intermittent wiper control is sluggish and irregular. Really only working on the last two positions before on. I have read that there is a wiper control module behind the glove box and it costs a hundred or more dollars. I've also read about cleaning the contacts in the switch itself. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the knob\switch \handle on the stalk end cap off look inside and pull the screw.
GENTLY slide the outer off(hold thumb over the end.)
Clean decrease and polish with pencil eraser the metal contact.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine works great as long as my hand is on it wiggling it gently on whatever level I want it on, so I would second the switch cleaning.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the knob\switch \handle on the stalk end cap off look inside and pull the screw.
GENTLY slide the outer off(hold thumb over the end.)
Clean decrease and polish with pencil eraser the metal contact.

So it's just a friction fit? Just carefully pull it off? Or am I reading your instructions incorrectly?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 93, and from memory...
Its a pita friction fit.
Thinking exacto knife in the seam of stupid indexing detent deal.
It pops out then the tiny bits await.
Iirc... Spring's and detent balls.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A new multi function switch is another option. It would be more expensive, but it would be easier.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
ON my 93 , I just popped off the end cap ! and with a couple Q tips and some electrical cleaner ... all was good , it was full of junk and grease...

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem a year ago, I just bought a new switch assy from RockAuto, easy replacement.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to pop the cap off and take the screw out, slide it apart and clean everything up with some electronics parts cleaner and Q-tips. I also gently bent the contacts up a bit to assure firm connection. I lubed everything with a little bit of Dielectric grease and reassembled it. It seems to be working as it should now...

Robm45497

Reaction score
i cleaned my control switch as the others have and still had a problem. i pulled the expensive wiper control module and cleaned the contacts also and thought i would need to replace it. It would work ok on the top couple delays but on the lower or further apart delays it would hang up in weird spots with the wipers and i figured i needed to change the module.
i ended up pulling the cover off the wiper motor cleaned and die electriced everything and it all works like brand new. Now i have broken wires for my power windows on my crew cab and if i dont have the the child lock on and someone rolls down the passenger front window it will get the relay hot and none of the windows will go up. if i control it from my door everything is good. Old hard brittle wires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online