sludge in water separator!

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys I empty my water separator about twice a month because I use high amounts of wmo. I have small amounts of sludge at the bottom of bowl when I drain each time. I am assuming that it is water and oil mix that is making this sludge but I have never been around algae. I use diesel clean in each 55 gallon drum of my filtered mwo mix. What am I seeing do yall think?

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the sludge black?If so you are probally correct. water + oil emulsifies.Depending on the water content you will get liquid emulsion or sludge.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
It may be contaminents in the oil that are still left in the oil after your filtration process. You may need to filter your oil through a better filtering process.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using bags to filter down to 1 micron. I heat my fuel and on the truck there is the water separator and 4 filters with different micron ratings. I will never be happy with my filtering untill I have a centrifuge.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW my centrifuge removes that sludge.go to simplecentrifuge.com.Just order the bowl and the motor and make the rest.my stand and casing I think was about 100.That includes machining the base plate for the motor.I built mine out of steel BTW.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Anytime there is any water present in a fuel tank , there will most likely be algae. Its not the green stuff that grows in your fishbowl, but rather microbes that live in the diesel/water layer and feed on the diesel. I recommend using a biocide such as Biobor Jf. Diesel Kleen will not kill the algae. I know you can get Biobor at most marine stores (West Marine and the like) but you can also buy it online- search amazon.com. You cant filter it out i dont think without killing it first. I know one thing though- that algae will tear up your fuel system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online