Slow cranking solved!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
So, I lent my antique truck to my son, and after a few days, I get a call: Dad, the truck doesn't want to start. It is plugged in, and the battery charger is on. Sigh...

So I go visit to try and start it. The block heater is plugged in, and the battery charger is connected. Ok kid, try and start it. It turns over painfully slow. I jiggle the battery charger connections to get better contact. Try again. Click, pfft. Smoke wafts up from the starter. "Merde", as they say in Quebec. Time to replace the starter.

Friday, when the weather had warmed up above freezing, we (he) replaced the starter and the batteries. The engine cranked over fast and crackled to life. :)

He had mentioned that the truck was cranking slower and slower as it lead up to the failure. He figured the batteries were going or maybe the alternator was not charging. I though maybe the low voltage contributed to the starter going up in smoke.

After getting the old batteries and starter back to my garage, the batteries check out ok. Good voltage 12.7 V.

Performing an autopsy on the starter I found this on the solenoid:

You must be registered for see images attach

Close ups:

I was expecting to find a severely damaged armature, but it was fine. I shined it up. Cleaned the brushes up with brake cleaner, and reassembled the starter with a spare solenoid I had. Oh, I made sure all the contact points were clean and shiny! Tested the starter and it works like a hot damn again.

Lesson of the story: If the starter cranks slowly, check the electrical connections. :rolleyes:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yeap... Loose connections will cause lots of heat and burn thru most anything. Glad you fixed it easy and made a spare too...:thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's all welding is, a loose high current connection. Lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuppers...add some NOALOX by Ideal or some other anti corrsion product for electrical connections and it helps save the day....but so would periodic checks of connections tightness :sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online