Sloppy steering fix

bubbagonebad

Reaction score
Today I finally fixed my steering wheel slop and thought it may be useful to the community.

My 91 4X4 had around 15 degrees of steering wheel rotation before the wheels would turn. On ford's steering boxes there is a threaded shaft exiting the top side of the box up near the radiator, see pic. I learned this procedure on a 69 Mach 1 that I owned 20 years ago. The key to it is to remember this... if a little is good, a lot is NOT better.

First make note of the orientation of the slot prior to placing the 5/8 inch wrench and screw driver on the shaft.

Next, hold the screw driver tight with your left hand and loosen the nut with your right hand about a half turn.

With the screw driver turn the shaft clockwise one half turn, tighten the nut.

With the ignition in the accessory position, check the freeplay of the steering wheel. If there is still slop, repeat the procedure.

Here is the warning....this adjustment moves the pinion gear deeper into the driven gear thus eliminating the 'slop'. DO be careful to make small adjustments and check the lash after every one.

Road test afterwards and enjoy the "new" feel of your truck!

If you don't feel comfortable with this PLEASE do not attemp it and seek professional help.

Hope it helps.... Bubba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TshiY-a9lcQ

Attachments

• steering 001.JPG
    steering 001.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This works great if.... Your steering box isn't too far worn out. What will happen is you get all the slop out and now when you take a trun around a corner the wheel wont free spin back to near neutral. So take the adjustments small and easy. The last thing you want is the steering staying in the turn position and you having to wrangle it back to going straight....