Short Commute?

mohave_steve

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a concern regarding the long term health of my '01 Dodge/Cummins 5.9 .

I have changed jobs and my new commute is so short that the engine never warms up. I have tried letting the truck sit and idle for several minutes (on $4.90/gal fuel) and that does not help.

I just changed the oil and did not notice any unusual thinning or diesel smell but I am noticing that the tail pipe has more soot in & around it than it has in the past.

Any suggestions (other thatn buying a gasser) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Whit

Reaction score
about once a week ya need to bring er up to 180-190 for a half hour so yer oil can flash any fuel it may have in it

mohave_steve

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply's.

My concern is based on info that I saw regarding upper cylendar pitting from repeated operation at below normal operating temps as well as the prospect of diluting the oil with diesel that makes it past the compression ring.

Any suggestions for bringing the engine up to proper temp more quickly?

Thanks again.

Steve

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
A blockage across the rad will help, basically the engine needs to work to build heat - by working I mean it needs the pedal pushed down further. I know that when we are RV'n and I sneak out of the RV park early in the morning to continue our journey that because she's working to pull the camper she will heat up pretty quick and if I'm running late for work I'm on the go pedal basically before it even generates any heat in the cooling system and she warms right up within a couple of miles even in the winter months. So it basically boils down to how far you push the skinny pedal down and how quickly you push it down. I don't recommend this on a cold engine and don't really like doing it to mine but when I'm running late for work all bets are off and I'm scooting - but I do it within reason - I don't mash the pedal and I keep her from generating too much boost (basically I keep it below 20psi).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy I wish I had your problem! 110 miles a day makes batteries and exhaust last forever. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker